Replies

ISE Internal error suddenly appear

M.Jallad
Level 1
Level 1

I started to see this error message suddenly 

"

[500] Internal Error

Please contact system administrator. If you are the System Administrator please consult the logs.

"

ISE deployment consists of two nodes one carrying Administration persona (primary) , and monitoring (secondary) and the other carrying Administration persona (secondary) , and monitoring (primary) persona, the setup was running smoothly without any issues. ISE version was 1.2; and after this issue appeared we did the required troubleshooting with no luck ; so we upgraded  both units to 1.3 and still facing the same issue.

We noticed a strange behavior on agent redirection ACL , when trying to reach basic services such as domain,DNS,.. (which are denied from redirection on the ACL) it appears to be redirected to ISE ( last permit ACE in redirection ACL counters increases contineously ) which shouldn't be the case in the posturing stage.

Anyone did face this issue , and what does this mean or have any ideas appreciate to share with us...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jai_chandra2001
Level 1
Level 1

I faced the same problem on multiple PC's during deployment on fresh install 1.3. Bug CSCur94336. The trigger might not be the same, but may be you are going through the same issue.

Primary issue is that when the ISE sends a redirect, there is a session id assigned to it. Both switch and ISE are aware of it during the policy enforcement duration(redirect duration). For some reason I guess the switch or ISE was deleting the session id. So the ISE returns the error saying it isnt aware of the session. With what I read on this thread so far, didn't look like a configuration issue to me. But I think experts can throw more light on this.

Patch for this will be released in January.

View solution in original post

41 Replies 41

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Can you post your auth.+ post. policies? Since you are using 1.3 , you can expert the policies directly to your admin pc. While you face the above issue during posture, have you removed thed network cable and reconnected the client and tested the network access? are they able to go through it?

Hi Salodh,

Attached the exported policies.

You are right when removing the cable or clearing the authentication session or logging off NAC agent pops up normally and client get postured. However, when restarting the PC again the problem appears again.

Hello,

We are also facing the same issue.We see that browser is trying to redirect (see the attached printscreen) and also when we manualy entered the url with session id etc it given the internal server error message.

The strange thing is that it works for one SSID but it does not work for another SSID, all the configuration as same and on ISE we see it hits the Web Auth redirection authz policy. Client can resolve FQDN of ISE etc.?

Has anybody find any solution or workaround for this issue.

Thanks in advance

How many Wireless Controllers are involved in your situation? Is there a mobility group? (an active-standby HA config would count as one controller, since the standby does not do anything). Do you use anchor controllers? Maybe your SSIDs are anchored on different controllers?

If you have more than one controller, check if radius accounting is enabled for your SSIDs. If so, enable radius accounting at most on one of your controllers.

Multiple controllers, doing all accounting but with possibly different settings on different SSIDs, and maybe different timing issues involved, c/would cause your symptoms.

Check the link in my post above.

If you only have a single wlc, or already disabled accounting. Sorry, then I do not have an idea.

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. In our case we have only two controllers in a high available scenario.

I have tested both accounting enable/disabled but get the same error. the client gets the redirect url with browser showing "web authentication" but it simply keep trying only and on ISE monitoring also I can see it hits the correct Authz policy (redirection).

I am wondering why one SSID works without any issue  and why it doe not work for other SSID with the same settings..?

Any other thoughts as per your experience.?

Thanks in advance.

No, sorry. This scenario worked for me. I know - though - that there are apparently issues with WLCs creating consistent Radius session IDs and that ISE is easily confused about this and that this is one way to trigger an error 500 in ISE.

If you did not yet try, I'd recommend using latest 7.6. for WLC, 8.x has issues too. But this is also only a wild guess.

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Just to give you some update, we have upgraded the WLC to 7.6.130 code but the issue is still the same. 

I am already getting guest portal redirection for one SSID but not for other SSID. In the client PC I can see the redirection url and in the browser also showing Web Authentication page is trying to open but it does keep trying only.

Regards,

Pemasiri

Hi at all, 

we faced this error last week until yesterday!!

On the ise was the configured Port for guest 8443!

After this changing to Port 8449 and set up a new Portalpage all works fine as before! 

I think only changing the Port brings back the function!!

Maybe we found a workaround?

Best Regards. 

Mario

Hi i got the same error 500 in a guest wireless deployment with a 5508 WLC. It was functioning quite well until it the error appeared. 

We have 2 ISE 1.3 with no patches installed (Two-Node-Redundant) with a 5508 WLC. 

Do you suggest me to change the port 8443 to a different one to solve the issue? After you made the change have you found any other issues with error 500?

Hope you can help.

Thanks a lot.

I worked with TAC on this since the day that I made my initial post. It got to the point where they basically said "patch ISE and see if it goes away..."

I am currently in the process of upgrading to 1.4

I had the same error and got it to go away when I disabled RADIUS accounting on my anchor controller. I de-selected accounting all together for that SSID. 

Make sure your client is de-auth'd on both WLC's and try the CWA page again.

Since my last post I spoke with our help desk supervisor and it appears the issue is no longer present. 

Are you faced this error "[400] Bad Request" , it appeared after user registration when click on "sign me On"  

Hi John. 

It´s correct. I was with the same problem ( redirect portal Guest )

===  

[ 400 ] Bad Request

The request is invalid due to malformed syntax or invalid data.

Possible cause is unknown, invalid, or terminated RADIUS session ID. Please advise the System Admin to consult the logs and ensure that the RADIUS session was not generated by a different PSN or due to a deny access policy match 

===

*** I DISABLE the radius accounting in the Anchor WLC and WORKS !

Somebody Know why I have to do this change to work int 1.4 cisco ISE ? ? ? 

tks a lot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: