Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Replication Issue

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All

I have a pair of ISE appliances running 1.2.1.198 code.

I have the 2 nodes setup as primary and secondary and they were synced OK.

There was a DNS issue in the network and the ISE nodes were not able to resolve the hostname of the other node so the link between the 2 dropped.

The DNS issue was resolved but the connection stayed down and there doesn't seem to be anyway to re-initiate the connection.

My solution was to de-register the secondary node and then register it again. However, although the de-registration seemed to go OK, the secondary node never came back up in standlaone mode so I was unable to register it on the primary again.

The only solution seemed to be to re-image the appliance.

This seems a very drastic solution for a simple issue such as DNS failing.

Does anyone have any useful comments on this issue?

3 Replies 3

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Under the deployment tab you should see a button called "Syncup." You should be able to select the node that is out of sync and re-sync it. Deregistering and registering the node again should also do the trick. What error are you getting when trying to register it?

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Hi Neno

The syncup button was disabled and wouldn't do anything. That's why I elected to de-register the secondary.

The de-registration went OK but when I tried to register the secondary node the message I got was that the node wasn't in 'standalone mode' and therefore couldn;t be registered.

Logging into the secondary showed no options to switch it back to standalone. I attempted to change it from secondary to primary but that wouldn't work either. The only option left was to re-image.

Having done the re-image I was able to register the second node successfully.

Regards

Roger

That is interesting. Unfortunately, we can't troubleshoot it anymore since you already re-imaged the node and fixed your issue :) Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and good job on resolving your issue (+5 from me). 

If your issue is resolved you should probably mark the thread as answered :)

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: