Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE using AD credentials in an environment where most machines are not on AD

mamckenn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am looking at ISE wired and wireless for a large university campus network. All users have AD accounts, and user login credentials will reside on AD. Most machines on the network are not on AD.

I would like to understand how 802.1x authentication process works for non AD machines, ie what is the users login experience with regards to passing credentials to ISE, and what does the background process look like?

thanks!

2 Replies 2

Muhammad Munir
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

An unknown profile is the default system profile that is assigned to an endpoint, where an attribute or a set of attributes collected for that endpoint do not match with existing profiles in Cisco ISE. When an endpoint is dynamically discovered in Cisco ISE, and there is no matching endpoint profiling policy for that endpoint, it is assigned to the unknown profile. If there is no matching endpoint profiling policy for a statically added endpoint, then you can assign the unknown profile to an endpoint, and change it later. If you have an endpoint added statically to your network, the statically added endpoint is not profiled by the profiling service in Cisco ISE. For the statically added endpoint to be profiled, the profiling service computes a profile for the endpoint by adding a new MATCHEDPROFILE attribute to the endpoint. The computed profile is the actual profile of an endpoint when dynamically assigned. This allows you to find the mismatches between in profiling the statically added endpoint by using the computed profile with an endpoint profile for that endpoint when it is dynamically assigned.

The endpoint profiling policy is never changed for the statically added endpoint. For the endpoint that is statically assigned, the profiling service computes the MATCHEDPROFILE. For all the endpoints that are dynamically assigned, the MATCHEDPROFILEs are identical to the endpoint profiles.

Hello Muhammad,

thanks for the reply, but I think you have misunderstood my question. Surely ISE will identify the non AD machine as a Windows PC, so unknown profile does not apply. I would like to know the authentication process for a windows machine that is not on AD. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: