Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Macintosh OSX, 802.1x and PEAP

I'm preparing to implement 802.1x port authentication for both wired and wireless connections. The authentication server is Windows 2003 IAS. In the test environment, Windows XP clients can connect fine, but I'm not sure how to configure this for Mac OSX workstations (10.4.6). Has anyone successfully done this? If so could you please explain the proceedure, or direct me to documentation that explains the process?

2 REPLIES

Re: Macintosh OSX, 802.1x and PEAP

I haven't tried this (I working with wireless) but try opening the "Open Internet Connect" application. You should see 802.1X there and you can select the Ethernet interface from the pull-down, then enter username and password.

Good Luck

Re: Macintosh OSX, 802.1x and PEAP

Assuming you're using NAC fraework then it's bad news, 802.1x won't work on a Mac. If you use 802.1x and L2IP in combination then wired Macs will work but wireless Macs will not. The reason is that the Cisco CTA for the Mac communicates with using EAP over UDP and this transport is not available when using 802.1x alone or over a wireless link with 802.1x or L2IP. The only way of catering for all client types at once (Windows wired and wireless, Mac wired and wireless) is L3IP.

The NAC Appliance "will" support wireless Macs in a future release but (I believe) doesn't at the moment.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content