cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NX-OS and enable authentication

dreim
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to secure a few Nexus switches with tacacs+  I am able to authenticate logins but I don't see the command for privileged mode, for example on a 2960 switch it was; aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable

Was this removed on the NX-OS software?      

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

NXOS uses RBAC so you don't need to use "enable" to get to priv mode. Your TACACS server has to be configured with the correct roles however to get priv access if that makes sense.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

NXOS uses RBAC so you don't need to use "enable" to get to priv mode. Your TACACS server has to be configured with the correct roles however to get priv access if that makes sense.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

Thanks! After spending some time with the debug logs I was able to work it out. I do like having a separate enable password though.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Glad you got it worked, debugs FTW!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi David,

I agree with Chris. Exec authorization by-deafult enabled on NX-OS. The below listed commands are replaced by Role based access (RBAC).

aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable

aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+

You can find Cisco NX-OS/IOS Software Default Configuration Differences here

Nexus user accounts and RBAC

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/sec_rbac.html

Security (AAA and Roles) Troubleshooting

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/troubleshooting/guide/n5K_ts_sec.htm

~BR
Jatin Katyal

**Do rate helpful posts**

~Jatin