cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with an OLD! ACS

sojumaster
Level 1
Level 1

I just walked into a position where the previous guy had quit.  One of the hand-me-down projects taht I have inherited was trying to get our old ACS operational again.

Vitals:

H/W - Cisco 1112 Secure Access Control System

O/S - Windows 2000 Server

Server - Cisco Secure Access Control Server for Windows 2000/NT Servers Version 3.0

Currently the system boots up and eventually gets to a Lock Notice that states: "Applicance is functioning normally.  To administer this applicance, please connect via serial port or through a web browser"

I am not able to break the boot sequence at any point.

I am not able to connect via HTTP (port 80 or 2002)

I am not able to ping it on the documented IP.  (Even wrote a quick Pingsweep batch file in DOS and was not able to discover it on the /24 network, just in case the previous tech had changed the IP)

The 1112 does not have a console port, so my console serial cables are worthless

My straight-through serial cable does not work.

The documentation said there was a cable that came with the hardware to connect to it.  That was almost 10 years ago, so who knows where THAT cable is.

I think that covers everything.

Is there someone out there that can offer some assistance on this?

MANY Thanks in Advance

Stephen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Attached is the requested diagram..

Regds,

JK

Do rate helpful posts-

~Jatin

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just walked into a position where the previous guy had quit.  One of the hand-me-down projects taht I have inherited was trying to get our old ACS operational again.

Vitals:

H/W - Cisco 1112 Secure Access Control System

O/S - Windows 2000 Server

Server - Cisco Secure Access Control Server for Windows 2000/NT Servers Version 3.0

Currently the system boots up and eventually gets to a Lock Notice that states: "Applicance is functioning normally.  To administer this applicance, please connect via serial port or through a web browser"

I am not able to break the boot sequence at any point.

I am not able to connect via HTTP (port 80 or 2002)

I am not able to ping it on the documented IP.  (Even wrote a quick Pingsweep batch file in DOS and was not able to discover it on the /24 network, just in case the previous tech had changed the IP)

The 1112 does not have a console port, so my console serial cables are worthless

My straight-through serial cable does not work.

The documentation said there was a cable that came with the hardware to connect to it.  That was almost 10 years ago, so who knows where THAT cable is.

I think that covers everything.

Is there someone out there that can offer some assistance on this?

MANY Thanks in Advance

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Can you try password recovery for ACS 1112 with below link hope that help !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5338/products_password_recovery09186a00801ece5f.shtml

Ganesh.H

**bangs head on the monitor** what? recovery CD??? grrrrr..... Life hates me ......

Ok now that I have let that fustration out .....

I do not have a recovery CD, and just to complicate life even further, The BIOS is set so that it boots off the HDD first.

-------------------

I did read in reference to a serial connection: "Before you can perform the initial configuration of Cisco Secure ACS Appliance, you must establish a serial console connection to it. This requires a PC, two DB-9 to RJ-45 adapters (provided), an RJ-45 cable (provided), and Telnet communications software (Hyper Terminal or equivalent). "

I do not have these DB-9 to RJ-45 adapters .... does any one have a wire diagram ?

Thanks!

Attached is the requested diagram..

Regds,

JK

Do rate helpful posts-

~Jatin

Wow ... sometimes it is amazing how I can overthink these things.

Thanks a million.

Glad, we could help you

~Jatin

I am having a similar problem.  I have a 1113 ACS but I can't remember what type of adapter/cable combo I need to get to the command prompt.  I tried the previous solution but it didn't work.  I have the RJ45 to RJ45 Cisco Roll over cable that came with the ACS but I thought that you had to use one terminal (DTE) adapter and one null modem (DCE) adapter to get the login prompt.  The problem is I have no null modem adapters!!!

You don't need any DCE or DTE adapter. Just use DB-9 connector.

Did you check this post with attached screen shot.

3. May 20, 2010 7:40 AM in response to:                                                                                       Stephen Schroeder

HTH

JK

Do rate helpful posts-

~Jatin

The DB-9 connector is either Terminal or Null.  I tried to use the Cisco cable with the Terminal DB-9 Connecter but I couldn't get a login on my console.  I have putty configured to use:

none

none

but I am still getting nothing.  I need to reset the admin passowrd but I can't get to the login to do it.

Try hyperterminal (connect your laptop directly with ACS SE) as putty is not suppported. If that doesn't work then I think reimage would be a last option.

HTH

JK

Do rate helpful posts-

~Jatin
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: