Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS Fallback Local account not working

kamrannaseem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a RADIUS server running on windows 2003. I am using cisco 2960 switch, everything is working fine but i need to test the local user account on the switch so that i dont lock myself out if the radius server is not available.

which command shall i enter to enable that ?

any help will be much appricated.

many thanks,

Kamran.

22 Replies 22

Actually local account is working only if radius server is not responding. by disable NPS manually i am able to login with local account.
i cannot login both account at a same time or by keeping NPS server active.

Hi @dheeraj.gautam 

Local authentication is fallback only if radius or tacacs is unavailable. You cannot login using a local user account if the radius/tacacs server is still active.

HTH

If you want to do SSH using local username/password

then add the same command what  Najaf suggested in the above post.

line vty 0 15

login authentication CONSOLE

transport input ssh

exit

~BR
Jatin Katyal

**Do rate helpful posts**

~Jatin

Hi jatin,

After using these commands i can not login to my switch through RADIUS. how do i remove them?

many thanks.

If you want to do SSH using local username/password

then add the same command what  Najaf suggested in the above post.

line vty 0 15

login authentication CONSOLE

transport input ssh

exit

The above config will not help you access the device with radius credentials. I did mention that if you want to SSH using local database so use local credentials from the device itself.

~BR
Jatin Katyal

~Jatin

Hi jatin,

thanks for your time

kind regards,

Kamran.

Hi,

Thanks for using the rating system and glad to know that it is working as expected. I have been with playing with Cisco for about 10 years now:-)

Regards
Najaf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

If the IOS is not configured for SSH, here is a link that can help you to enable SSH.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk617/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949e2.shtml#testwithssh

~BR
Jatin Katyal

~Jatin