Views
Helpful
Replies

Register Secondary ACS with Primary ACS 5.4 patch 6 and getting error

cciesec2011
Level 3
Level 3

Scenario #1:
prodacs1 and prodacs2 version 5.4 patch 6 with IP address of 10.1.1.1/24 and 10.1.1.2/24, respectively.  
Both prodacs1 and prodacs2 are running on VMWare ESXi 5.1.  Both are sync'ed with Active Directory
and authenticate users to manage Cisco routers and switches without any issues.  prodacs1 is the Primary
and prodacs2 is the Secondary.  BOTH prodacs1 and prodacs2 USE THE SAME LICENSE.  Both prodacs1 and
prodacs2 are resolved in DNS for both forward and reverse lookup.  In this production environment, everything is working as expected.

Scenario #2:  NEW deployment in the lab
labdacs1 and labacs2 version 5.4 patch 6 with IP address of 192.168.1.1/24 and 192.168.1.2/24, respectively.  
Both labacs1 and labacs2 are running on VMWare ESXi 5.1.  Both are sync'ed with Active Directory.  BOTH
labacs1 and labacs2 USE THE SAME LICENSE as scenario #1.  Both labacs1 and labacs2 are resolved in DNS for both
forward and reverse lookup.

However, when I tried to add labacs2 into labacs1 so that labacs2 is the secondary and labacs1 to be the
primary.  From labacs2 interface: System Administration >Operations >Local Operations >Deployment Operations,
I enter the hostname/IP address, username/password of labacs1, then I click on "Register with Primary", I get
this message:

This System Failure occurred:  server cannot be added to the deployment.
Server has same License ID as server labacs1 that already exists in the deployment.
Your changes have not been saved.Click OK to return to the list page.

Why is not working?  Furthermore, why is it working in one environment but not the other with the same
idetical ACS version & patch.  Work in production environment but not other.

Anyone has run into this before?  how do you fix this?

4 Replies 4

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of license are you using in first deployment?

There are 2 type of licenses 

Base license - Install a unique base license for each of the ACS secondary servers in the deployment.

Large Deployment add-on license - It allows a deployment to support more than 500 network devices. Only one Large Deployment license is required per deployment, as it is shared by all instances

Please check what type of license are you running in your deployment.

In order to fix issue in your 2nd deployment you need reset-application config on your secondary, install the new unique base license (based on show udi) and register it to primary node to get the configuration replicated.

Regards,

Jatin Katyal

**Do rate helpful posts**

~Jatin

I USE THE EXACT SAME LICENSE IN THE PRODUCTION AND LAB ENVIRONMENT.  When I said "exact", I mean I use the same .lic file and apply to both environment. 

I works in the production environment but FAILED in the lab environment.

Btw, the lab environment and production can not communicate with each other.  production does not know that lab exist and vice versa.

Production:

prodacs1/admin# show udi

SPID: Cisco-VM-SPID
VPID: V01
Serial: OPMPGNQ8LIE

prodacs1/admin#

prodacs2/admin# show udi

Serial: 9PIG7CBI6FP

prodacs2/admin#

LAB environment

labacs1/admin# show udi

Serial: D6DFILFHF9J

labacs1/admin#

labacs2/admin# show udi

Serial: JTRNO97HHGE

labacs2/admin#

I am at a lost here.

alek.gozali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you are trying to register an ACS as secondary to primary ACS with the same license file?

i didn't how it work in your production network.

what i know it shouldn't work,you need a different base license.

you should check from the System Administration -> configuration -> licensing menu -> base server license, if they had the same identifier ID, then the registration won't work.

Venkatesh Attuluri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

check

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11529201/how-update-license-acs-51

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: