cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replication Issues

veddar791
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently running 3.3 and TAC will not support it. I am working to upgrade to 4.2 soon (software has been sitting around for 2 years from my predecessor). My big issue that can't wait until the upgrade is:

Anytime I replicate from my Primary server, it will change any Juniper BXR devices' "authenticate using" from Juniper to Marconi. I have to go in and manually change all of them back after a replication. So I turned auto-replicate off, but in prepping for the upgrade (organizing groups, cleaning up users, correcting permissions etc.) Its causing a lot of problems.

Anyone have a clue?

Ryan

6 Replies 6

This suggests a database corruption issue. Do you have a spare ACS server where you can restore a current backup from the production server,

and test?

Also, which ACS is changing the authentication type, the primary or the secondary?

This suggests a database corruption issue. Do you have a spare ACS server where you can restore a current backup from the production server,

and test?

We have multiple sites (6 servers). The primary will replicate to them and I make all changes on the primary. The error only occurs on 2-3 of the secondary servers.

Also, which ACS is changing the authentication type, the primary or the secondary?

Secondary

Two thoughts come to mind:

Re-image the affected secondaries

Restore on the affected secondaries a backup from one of the not-affected secondaries

The idea here is to start with a known good database, either empty or from an ACS without the problem.

Ok, corruption issue and re-imaging makes sense. I've never done that and upgrading is going to be my first attempt with a server. I was hoping upgrading would fix it anyway...

Is there a way to login (web) and overwrite the secondary with a good secondary or the primary? Do I have to go through the entire "reformat" the appliance (not sure if I mentioned it the appliance not a windows server) to accomplish this? Or is there another way?

Thanks again,

Ryan

Restoring a backup from one of the known good secondaries can be done entirely via the GUI, you just need an FTP server as the repository for the backup saveset.

Re-imaging the appliance requires physical access to it.

Ok, sorry for the delay. I upgraded all of the servers and am still having the replication issue. I was able to dig up some info on it though. I found that if the VSA's under Interface Configuration do not match...then it will cause my issue. On one bad server I was missing a VSA (Marconi) and the other has all of the primaries but is in a different order. Apparently it checks by slot. So if a VSA is in a slot that that it expects to dind say Laurel but finds Marconi...it will change the "authenticate using" box in the NDG devices. I was able to add the missing VSA to the one....but cannot figure out how to change the order. When I added the VSA to the one having missing issues....it put it in the middle of the order...so no rhyme or reason.

I was wanting to try deleting them all and then red-adding them...but knowing it puts them in a random (so it appears to me) I don't think it will help. Our Cisco rep said the GUI display of the order is not accurate anyway. He said the actual slot order is in the database...which I don't know how to see. I know you can change the slot number in the CSV when you add a device....but I don't know the numbering scheme for the slots. Cisco said 1-10 is taken by default?

Help?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: