cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure ACS Appliance ??

dopenfield
Level 1
Level 1

Took the SECUR class last week. 5 pages talking about the Cisco Secure ACS Appliance but can't find anything about it on the Cisco Web site.

What's up??

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'll be pretty sketchy here basically cause I don't know a whole lot about the specifics of this device, but since no-one else has answered your question a sketchy answer is better than none :-)

It'll be basically a standalone device that runs the Windows ACS software, probably look similar to the new PIX firewalls or IDS sensor boxes. You'll give it an IP address, etc just like a PC, but it'll be more designed to sit in your wiring closet as a secure unit, rather than as a PC on someone's spare desk that anyone can walk by and start playing with. I believe the underlying OS will be secured fairly extensively to reduce possible problems with viruses, worms, etc, it'll only run exactly what it needs to. Not sure how big it'll be, probably 1U high at a guess.

Release date is unknown at this time, I think it was pushed back a little from its original, but certainly should be within 6 months, more likely much earlier than that (I could certainly be wrong about that though, so don't quote me on any of those figures).

Sorry again for the sketchy answer, I'll see if I can come up with something more concrete for you later on.

Appreciate the answer. Accept for the details about the release date that is what is mentioned in the class material.

Dell 1U rack mount server running a 'hardened' version of Win2k Server. No peripherals. No windows GUI. No IIS.

Just have never run into the situation of a Cisco class talking about something that is not further documented on the web site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: