cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH local database username and password not working

sstepun
Level 1
Level 1

I have a weird issue. I recently setup an ASA 5510 and had SSH working. To make it easier on my VPN users I then decided I wanted to setup a Windows 2008 Network Policy Server for RADIUS authentication. Ever since I added the RADIUS part to aaa authentication, when I use SSH to connect to the ASA it will not take the local user name and password I have setup. I can however get in using a Domain user name and password. Below is the SSH and AAA configuration. Am I missing something here? The username and password in the ASA is not on the domain and it's like the ASA is not even trying LOCAL when it tries to authenticate. I want it to use the local username and password if possible. I'm kind of new to ASA's..

On another note, I have never been able to SSH in on the internal interface. I always get a "The remote system refused the connection" error message. I can only use the outside interface.

Site-ASA# sh run | in ssh

aaa authentication ssh console SERVER_RADIUS LOCAL

ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside

ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 inside

ssh timeout 60

ssh version 2

Site-ASA# sh run | in aaa

aaa-server SERVER_RADIUS protocol radius

aaa-server SERVER_RADIUS (inside) host 10.0.0.6

aaa authentication ssh console SERVER_RADIUS LOCAL

aaa authentication http console SERVER_RADIUS LOCAL

Site-ASA#

If there are any other config that would help I would be more than happy to display them

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tonythacheth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

try as

aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL SERVER_RADIUS

bcoz if radius is reachable the device will not check the local users.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

tonythacheth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

try as

aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL SERVER_RADIUS

bcoz if radius is reachable the device will not check the local users.

Thanks for the reply. I was just coming in to update this because you are exactly correct. For some reason I kept thinking that if the authentication failed via RADIUS it would use local which is not the case.

Problem (or no problem) resolved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: