cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog Server Red Hat

paulo.s
Level 1
Level 1

My station have dual boot, Red Hat 8.0 and Windows2K.

How can I configure my syslog server Red Hat 8.0, for receive acls logs from my routers ?

When I use a syslog server with Windows2K, software Kiwi, my machine receive all the logs ok.

Thks,

Paulo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm no RedHat expert, but if it works the same as standard Unix (which I tink it does), you need to edit your /etc/syslog.conf file and direct the specific syslog events to a specific file.

Syslog events from a router by default are sent using the local7 facility, so if you do something like:

local7.* /var/adm/messages

(note there's a TAB between the facility type and the directory in this file) then your syslogs should be logged to that file. You'll have to stop/start the syslog server on the machine after you make the change.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm no RedHat expert, but if it works the same as standard Unix (which I tink it does), you need to edit your /etc/syslog.conf file and direct the specific syslog events to a specific file.

Syslog events from a router by default are sent using the local7 facility, so if you do something like:

local7.* /var/adm/messages

(note there's a TAB between the facility type and the directory in this file) then your syslogs should be logged to that file. You'll have to stop/start the syslog server on the machine after you make the change.

Thks, but not work. I have seen this solution.

I still try looking for a solution.

Ok, after reboot, I have received logs sent from routers.

Thks

If possible, use syslog-ng. It offers a more granular filtering ability for logs.