cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tacacs and GRE Tunnel

awairlines
Level 1
Level 1

Tacacs authentication doesn't work after passing thru GRE tunnel with Crypto map.

6 Replies 6

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We need more information than that please if we're going to help you.

What version of router code on both sides? Can you ping to the TACACS server over the tunnel with all different sizes of packets (up to and including 1500bytes)? What does the log on the ACS server say, anything in Failed Attempts or Passed Authentications? Are you sure you're sourcing the TACACS packets from the same interface as the IP address you have entered in as the NAS on the ACS server (check for Unknown NAS errors in the Failed Attempts log)?

OK - here is some more info:

router versions local 12.2(6b) remote 12.2(5d)

Ping sweep min to max OK

ACS message "Unknown NAS"

Source address is serial int of remote router in ACS device config

debug aaa on remote router shows a TAC+ send authen/start

then it has status "error" - then drops to line authentication

Thanks...

OK, thanks.

If you're getting Unknown NAS in ACS, then the TACACS packet is being sourced with a different router address than what you entered in ACS for that NAS. You should be able to see what address the router is using by looking at the Unknown NAS error message. you can either then add that address is for the NAS, or use the "ip tacacs source-interface ..." command to specify what address the router uses.

The "ip tacacs source-interface" resolved the issue...

I had a similar problem where the router was on the end of a GRE tunnel and could ping the ACS (tacacs) server but could not use it for authentication. The "ip tacacs source-interface" command resolved my problem.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hello All, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

In addition,

Normally in the CRYPTO Configuration the Crypto Sessions will be formed with some Private Loopback available in the Configuration.

Since the TACACS Server will be in the same domain, so the "ip tacacs source-interface" command solved the problem of Urs.

The Crypto Originating LOCAL Interface at SPOKE Location, should be normally used for tacacs Source Interface in a general scenario.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R