cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade ACS 5.6 to 5.8 : the order of the phases is not clear

I have to upgrade our 2 ACS V5R6(last patch level) servers to the version V5R8:

- The primary is acting as the log collector

- The secondary

I have read the guide "Installation and Upgrade Guide for Cisco Secure Access Control System 5.8" and the order of the operations is not clear to me.

It is said that the first thing to migrate is the log collector, but in my case, I would need first to promote the secondary server as a primary server, so the primary is no more "log collector".

Then, what to do?

1) upgrade the log collector?(the secondary server)

or 

2) upgrade the primary ?

I am lost.

Knowing that all the actions are described in the guide, the list of the phases in the right order would help me a lot.

Thanks

Gilles

2 Replies 2

dacabrer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Gilles,

I hope I am not late. 

In this case, you will need to deregistered the secondary node from the deployment. For this go to: System Administration > Operations > Distributed System Management select the secondary node and click Deregister and then Delete.

At this point you will have two nodes running as primary and log collector so the order doesn't really matter. Let's say you start with the (actual) primary node, you shouldn't experience a downtime since the secondary node will be handling the authentications.

After the upgrade is completed, register the secondary node into the deployment and promote it as log collector as best practice. For this go to: System Administration > Configuration > Log Configuration >  Log Collector and select the secondary node.

Best regards,

dacabrer

Hi Dacacrer,

thanks a lot. It makes sense to me.

thanks for the info. 

i will test it asap if I don't have space disk issue ;)

Regards,

Gilles