Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrade from ACS4.2 to 5.1

We only need to the Local User info to be transferred to the Ver5.1. Is there anyway you can do it?

thanks,

Han

15 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Upgrade from ACS4.2 to 5.1

ACS 5.1 has a migration utiliity that can transfer internal users from ACS 4.2

Alternatively, ACS 5.1 has an import capabiltiy for internal users where the users are defined in a csv file

In this case need to extract the data from 4.2 and massge to the right file format for import

Re: Upgrade from ACS4.2 to 5.1

Where in 5.1 do you find the function that imports CSV? Aslo, in 4.2, are you refering to "ACS system backup setup"? I dont find there is any choice that you can select only the Internal user.

thanks,

Cisco Employee

Go to Users and Identity Stores > Internal Identity Stores > Users

and Press the File Operations option

I am now looking at 4.2, is it in "ACS system backup setup"? if it is, the file is dmp. how can you converter it?

thanks,

Han

Silver

Hello,

When Jonny referred to the Import feature of ACS 5.x using CSV files, the CSV file has to be created manually. The ACS 4.x does not have a feature to export the Internal Users to a .csv file that you can then import to ACS 5.x.

If you are looking to migrate to the new ACS 5.x you can check:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.2/migration/guide/Migration_support.html

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Your link is forbidden. So can you tell me how to create CSV file manually?

thanks

Silver

Hello,

Under the ACS 5.x GUI > Users and Identity Stores > Internal Identity Stores > Users > Click File Operations:

On the New Window click Next > Click Download Template:

The template include the required attributes in order to create a valid .csv file for the ACS to import it. I have attached an example that imports one Internal ACS User called "aaauser" which is "enabled" and has the password and enable password set to "cisco123".

I am also attaching the migration .pdf file that I referenced on my previous reply in case that you want to upgrade your ACS 3.2 to a 4.2 version and run the migration utility instead.

NOTE: Click on the images to enlarge them.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Carlos,

I appreciate your help, but you didnt read clearly my original question. I'll rephrase it.

Q: I have many internal users in V4.2 that I want to transfer into V5.1, how to do that?

You answered me that with CSV files, you have to manually tpye inte usernames and passwords. If it is the case, then it is not my option. We dont know the passwords.

if so, I have to use the first option which the utility. How do you use it, the file you attached doesnt really instruct you to do that, it is only says it can support that. I have the utility open, but it is not that straight forward that you can use it.

Can you please tell me how do you do that?

Would you start with V4.2

1. On the System configuration\ACS backup?

thanks,

Silver

Hello,

You are correct. I am attaching the correct document for the migration process now. Please review it and let me know if any question arise.

As a snapshot, you will need an ACS for Windows running one of the supported version for migration:

• ACS 4.1.1.24

• ACS 4.1.4

• ACS 4.2.0.124

• ACS 4.2.1

You need an ACS for Windows as the migration utility has to be executed from the server running the ACS application. NOTE: The Migration utility does not support RDP. You need to access the Windows Server locally.

The attached document describes the migration steps.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Carlos,

The document doesnt help me much, the Migration Utility is a GUI on my systme, but this document is talking about CLI. It looks like a painful process, just for transfering a small database. Are you sure?

if you are, could you please summerize it in some steps?

thanks,

Han

Silver

Hello,

Are we referring to the same migration utility? The one that you download from the ACS 5.x GUI > System Administration > Downloads > Migration Utility > Migration Application Files?

It should download a .zip file which includes the migration.bat file:

Regards.

that is the one I see.

Silver

Correct,

If you open the Migration folder you should see like 4-5 folders. Access the BIN folder and you will find the migration.bat file.

You need to get the migration folder to the Windows Server running the ACS For Windows application. When executing the migration.bat file it will open a CMD as described on the last document I attached.

Regards.

We dont use windows, we use appliance. it is similar

thanks,

Han

Silver

Han,

You need an ACS for Windows in order to run the migration utility. You can either download the Cisco ACS 4.2 trial version and try loading the ACS SE backup on it in order to perform the migration or you might need to contact your Cisco Account Manager in order to get the appropriate assistance with the migration process.

NOTE: TAC might be able to help you doing a best effort migrating the database for you to 5.x and providing you the 5.x backup, however, the Migration utility is not supported by TAC. Again, as best effort is always performed but TAC will be assisting on an unsupported scenario.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies