Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade ISE from versio 1.4 to version 2.1

dtrombetta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cluster  ISE  ( two node ADMIN/MONITORING/POLICY and two node PSN ) on platform VMWARE . On the 4 VM is run RED HAT 6 , but for version 2.1 is require only red hat 7. The file for upgrade ISE ( ise-upgradebundle-1.3.x-and-1.4.x-to-2.1.0.x.x86_64.tar.gz )  contains the upgrade of the VM to the RH version7 ? It happened to you? that steps you followed?

I proceed with the upgrade with no problem?....... thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ISE 2.1 (or any other version) includes the underlying OS and/or OS Upgrade needed. ISE, like many Cisco products is built using the ADE-OS package which includes a hardened version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Oracle database etc all inclusive.

ISE in particular does not even allow access  to the OS and database under the ADE-OS shell. When TAC needs to access it for remote troubleshooting they generate a one time use access key that expires after 24 hours.

If you follow the upgrade guide, it should work perfectly for you. I have done several upgrade of ISE deployments to both version 2.0 and 2.1 without issue.

Cisco mentions the RHEL 7 version just so that you update your settings on the VMWare ESXi host accordingly.

View solution in original post

That's great to know.

Please mark your question as answered and rate helpful replies.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ISE 2.1 (or any other version) includes the underlying OS and/or OS Upgrade needed. ISE, like many Cisco products is built using the ADE-OS package which includes a hardened version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Oracle database etc all inclusive.

ISE in particular does not even allow access  to the OS and database under the ADE-OS shell. When TAC needs to access it for remote troubleshooting they generate a one time use access key that expires after 24 hours.

If you follow the upgrade guide, it should work perfectly for you. I have done several upgrade of ISE deployments to both version 2.0 and 2.1 without issue.

Cisco mentions the RHEL 7 version just so that you update your settings on the VMWare ESXi host accordingly.

Thanks for your help!, now is ok!

That's great to know.

Please mark your question as answered and rate helpful replies.

Please rate helpful posts!!!!!

Hi @Marvin Rhoads ,

It is my first to upgrade ISE in the VM environment. Before upgrading for example from ISE 1.4 to 2.4, do I need to change the VM settings manually to support 2.4? For example, the CPU, memory allocation, guest OS, etc.

Thanks

Hi @Marvin Rhoads ,

Thanks for the feedback but, is it safe to do it before? I asked TAC and they said they recommend to do it before the upgrade?

Thanks

I'd defer to the TAC - they have a much greater body of knowledge to draw from than I do.

Gagandeep Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Release 2.1 supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7.0.

Though it should work on RHEL 6. You  can change the Guest Operating System to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7. To do this, you must power down the VM, change the Guest Operating System to RHEL 7, and power on the VM after the change.

Best practice is to be on RHEL 7 just to ensure better functionality

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-1/upgrade_guide/b_ise_upgrade_guide_21/b_ise_upgrade_guide_21_chapter_00.html

Regards

Gagan

ps : rate if it helps!!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: