Views
Helpful
Replies

Using AnyConnect as wireless supplicant

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello All,

I used to utilize CSSC as a wireless supplicant on my machine when I had windows XP.

I tried yesterday to install it on windows 7 (I tried vista version) but it does not seem to work with windows 7.

I was searching and I found somewherein this forum that CSSC is being deprecated and the anyConnect is bieng used to connect to the wireless networks as supplicants.

I was able to install the NAM (Network Access Manager) from which I can configure the wireless network profiel and generate a xml file.

The question is: where should I use this xml file? what is the exact program that should I use to import this file?

When I try to install AnyConnect Secure Mobility client to my machine it jus tappears on the taskbar  saying that web-security service is not running (I tried to install web-security but it asks for a license by then).

can anyone tell me how can I use the anyConnect as a supplicant for the wireless?

I tried to search for some docs but none helped.

Many thanks.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
13 Replies 13

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I did installation but it fails.

I did it on another machine and it is working fine.

It seemst the problem is with my own machine.
I tried to install CSSC for vista on this machine (but it did not work). could this affect the anyconnect NAM installation?

After installation, when I try to start the AnyConnect it shows me this message:

it looks like the module is not installed!!

Can anyone help with this?

Hi Amjad,

I am also facing same issue. Did you solve this ? I installed the NAM module from the installed on windows 7 64-bit. But when i open anyconnect client it shows same error that no modules are installed. I just want to use the anyconnect to control my wireless connections.

regards

Joe

And when i try to install only the NAM using the NAM.msi , i get this error after installation ; But it does not tell me what the problem is...

Hi can you check the event viewer to see if there are any errors? Also what version of anyconnect are you trying to install?

Also you can not only install just the msi, it has to have secre mobility package installed also. Please install the full version and select the packages in the install step.

Hello,

we are having exactly the same problem. On 80% of PCs the installation works, but the rest have this message. Using AnyConnect 3.1

We've collected some errors from MSI installler and from DART. If someone from Cisco are interested I can mail it.

Greets

Karel

Hello again,

my colleague recetnly found this:

http://www.chicagotech.net/VPN/maxfilters.htm

On Windows 7 it helped.

Regards

Karel

hkhrais
Level 1
Level 1

Salam Amjad ,

CSSC is not supported on Windows 7 , check this one out

http://open1x.sourceforge.net/

Hussam,

Why would you not suggest the benefits of Anyconnect NAM, it is CSSC's successor.

Back to the original thread, here are the install directions when installing NAM, you can just install the msi you have to install the secure mobility client package first.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect31/administration/guide/ac02asaconfig.html#wp1601325

So basically you have to install the core module which is the vpn client, then you can install the optional modules, whicn for you will be the NAM.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

Please rate helpful posts

Tarik:

It is not feasible for me at all to re-install everytime I want to change something with the WLAN profile.

I do too many tests and I change profile parameters too often when I test. I can't afford it this way.

Hussam: I'll test with what you provided and let you know. From the first look it seems my OS is not supported, but I'll finish installation and test to confirm.

Thanks all.

Amjad

You are correct but you don't have to reinstall the supplicant everytime you make changes. That is where the documentation maybe showing its age. Once you make changes to the configuration.xml using the profile editor. You then issue a network repair on the nam and it should apply those changes for you. Once I get to the office I will provide the link for you.

Also I think the eap chaining feature in the newer 3.1 version maybe of use if acs 5.4 supports it

Thanks

Tarik

Are you in the office now  Tarik? Please end the link

Salam Hussam,

Yes I am aware that the CSSC is no longer used. I tried to use AnyConnect. But to admit, the way CSSC was used is much better than this anyConnect. With AnyConnect you have to generate new XML and re-install everytime you want to create a WLAN. with CSSC you can just add a WLAN profile and save it. It was much easier.