Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Windows client intermittent connection to PEAP WIFI backed off to ISE 1.2 wildcard cert

I am setting up a topology whwere for the first time I am deplying ISE with a wildcard certificate.  This is on ISE 1.2 patch 6, WLC's running 7.6 and Windows 7 clients in AD.  The ISE policy is just to match on machine auth.

The setting up of the wildcard cert went ok as guided by the CCO ISE 1.2 deployment/cfg guide.

When it came to testing the client auth as always I start off with the PEAP settings of Validate server certificate off, just to confirm the WLC and ISE are playing ball.  They were, the auth passed.

I then tick the Validate server certificate, make sure the CA (Windows AD) is in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities.  Retest and the client passes.

If I then disconnect the wifi and reconnect, either manually or by doing a reboot, the next authenticaiton fails, but nothing has changed.  ISE reports that my Windows client rejected the server certificate.  Which is odd as it just accepted it.

If I untick the validate the client passes, if i tick it again it will authenticate fine, once.  The next connection it will fail again with the client rejecting ISE.

Anyone got any ideas?

Everyone's tags (1)
1 REPLY

I have had a similar issue

I have had a similar issue consistently with 1.2 on both pathc 5 and 6 (not sure about earlier one). Basically what I am seeing is the client rejecting the Server cert when validate is unticked. Most of the time the client connects just fine a few seconds later but some clients need a reboot to fix it. As a rule I put this down to client issue but not 100% sure some times.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content