cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

With Cisco Secure ACS For Windows TACACS+, authentication fails with AD

georgedipu
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a Cisco Secure ACS 4.2 server to act as a TACACS server for Switches and Routers  I am using Windows 2003 server for the ACS,
and a Windows 2003 Active Directory server.  The AD server is fine, as it is used for many other things.

I have set up ACS as defined nit he installation guide, including all the steps in the 'Member Server' section of the install guide
when using AD as an external database (i.e. setting up the services to run with a domain admin account, setting up a machine called 'CISCO'
on the domain etc).

I've set the unknown user policy to use the Windows database if the internal database doesn;t contain the user details.

If I add a user to the internal database, the authentication goes through fine, with an entry in the 'Passed Authentications' log,

02/24/2010,05:07:03,Authen failed,eXXXX,Network Administrators(NDG) ,X.X.X.X,(Default),Internal error,,(geting error message as INternal Error)

I've scoured google etc, and just cannot come up with any reason why this should be happening.
  I've followed all the install guides to the letter.  I need to get this up and running as soon as possible,
so am looking forward to finding out if anyone can help me with this one!

THanks and regards

Sharan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jedubois
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

George,

Internal Error is pretty generic but one common situation we see this error is when ACS is installed on a

64bit machine.  ACS would not work with Active Director when installed on 64bit machines prior to

ACS 4.2.1.

--Jesse

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jedubois
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

George,

Internal Error is pretty generic but one common situation we see this error is when ACS is installed on a

64bit machine.  ACS would not work with Active Director when installed on 64bit machines prior to

ACS 4.2.1.

--Jesse

Hi  Jesse,

Thasts a great answer and Soution.

My previous version was 4.2 and it was installed on 64 bit machine hence getting internal Error.

After this answer i have upgraded it to ACS4.2.1 and its started working fine

Thanks very much for the help

Dipu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: