Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Fabric auto discovery

Jong wook kim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I'm ready to the ACI PoC, in the mobile network environment.

The APIC is operate normally.   Then as shown in the following message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SERVER ERRO
The Policy change was net implement due to internal communication failure from 
the APIC to other APICs/nodes on the fabic, please retry request
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to solve the problem, I had reset all the APIC(3) using a command "eraseconfig setup"

After the APIC reset, does not auto discovery nexus 9000(leaf/spine) switch and other APICs

leaf switch APIC connected as follows in its port state is:

leaf-1# show interface ethernet 1/3
Ethernet1/3 is up (out-of-service)
admin state is up, Dedicated Interface
  Hardware: 100/1000/10000/auto Ethernet, address: 88f0.31dc.87d9 (bia 88f0.31dc.87d9)
  MTU 9000 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 1 usec
  reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, medium is broadcast
  Port mode is trunk
  full-duplex, 10 Gb/s, media type is 10G
  Beacon is turned off
  Auto-Negotiation is turned on
  Input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
  Auto-mdix is turned off
  Rate mode is dedicated
  Switchport monitor is off
  EtherType is 0x8100
  EEE (efficient-ethernet) : n/a
  Last link flapped 00:10:51
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
  2 interface resets
  30 seconds input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  30 seconds output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  Load-Interval #2: 5 minute (300 seconds)
    input rate 48 bps, 0 pps; output rate 0 bps, 0 pps
  RX
    0 unicast packets  26 multicast packets  0 broadcast packets
    26 input packets  5486 bytes
    0 jumbo packets  0 storm suppression packets
    0 runts  0 giants  0 CRC  0 no buffer
    0 input error  0 short frame  0 overrun   0 underrun  0 ignored
    0 watchdog  0 bad etype drop  0 bad proto drop  0 if down drop
    0 input with dribble  0 input discard
    0 Rx pause
  TX
    0 unicast packets  36 multicast packets  0 broadcast packets
    36 output packets  11765 bytes
    0 jumbo packets
    0 output error  0 collision  0 deferred  0 late collision
    0 lost carrier  0 no carrier  0 babble  0 output discard
    0 Tx pause

I think, I have to do initial setup (ACI  mode factory default) nexus 9000(leaf switch)

Could you tell me what I should do? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You are correct, you would need to clean the configuration on the leaf and spine switches as well. Since they were registered to a fabric at one point and the APICs were erased, the switches still have their configuration. This is because the switches operate independently of the APICs, the APIC only pushes new policy/configuration. Since the APICs were erased and formed a new fabric, the leaf switches do not know of the new fabric and can only be a part of one fabric at a time, thus they must be erased whenever the APICs are erased. 

On the switches, the appropriate command to erase the configuration is setup-clean-config.sh <image.bin>. It is suggested you first look at boot flash and copy the ACI image name to then insert as an argument into that command. Also, I suggest you setup boot variables first with the setup-bootvars.sh <image.bin> command. In summary:

• setup bootvariables with: setup-bootvars.sh <aci-n9000.bin>
  • erase config with: setup-clean-config.sh <aci-n9000.bin>

When the switches reload they should return to the (none)# prompt, at which point the APIC should discover its directly connected leaf and the discovery and registration process can proceed from there. I hope this helps, have a nice day

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You are correct, you would need to clean the configuration on the leaf and spine switches as well. Since they were registered to a fabric at one point and the APICs were erased, the switches still have their configuration. This is because the switches operate independently of the APICs, the APIC only pushes new policy/configuration. Since the APICs were erased and formed a new fabric, the leaf switches do not know of the new fabric and can only be a part of one fabric at a time, thus they must be erased whenever the APICs are erased. 

On the switches, the appropriate command to erase the configuration is setup-clean-config.sh <image.bin>. It is suggested you first look at boot flash and copy the ACI image name to then insert as an argument into that command. Also, I suggest you setup boot variables first with the setup-bootvars.sh <image.bin> command. In summary:

• setup bootvariables with: setup-bootvars.sh <aci-n9000.bin>
  • erase config with: setup-clean-config.sh <aci-n9000.bin>

When the switches reload they should return to the (none)# prompt, at which point the APIC should discover its directly connected leaf and the discovery and registration process can proceed from there. I hope this helps, have a nice day

Hi dpita

Thank you for your correct answer.

I solved this problem with your help

Regrds.
jook wook

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License