Brandon Rumer (Cisco)
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When attaching to a leaf or spine from my APIC, I end up getting the prompt:

admin@leaf1:~>

shouldnt I (or how do I) get the logon:

admin@leaf1#

My command options are severely limited without the # prompt. This is in dCloud and ACI Sim. Is it that this is simulated hardware vs actual hardware?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi brumer,

This is in dCloud and ACI Sim. Is it that this is simulated hardware vs actual hardware?

Precisely. You've answered your own question. The simulator only simulates the GUI and the API, not the CLI.  What you are seeing is expected behaviour for the SIM, and don't expect many commands to work at all at the bash prompt.

There is one dcloud lab that uses real hardware; https://dcloud-cms.cisco.com/demo_news/cisco-application-centric-infrastructure-with-shared-physical-fabric-v1 but you don't get admin rights to that one, and AFAIK you won't get access to the CLI, but it might be worth a try.

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi brumer,

This is in dCloud and ACI Sim. Is it that this is simulated hardware vs actual hardware?

Precisely. You've answered your own question. The simulator only simulates the GUI and the API, not the CLI.  What you are seeing is expected behaviour for the SIM, and don't expect many commands to work at all at the bash prompt.

There is one dcloud lab that uses real hardware; https://dcloud-cms.cisco.com/demo_news/cisco-application-centric-infrastructure-with-shared-physical-fabric-v1 but you don't get admin rights to that one, and AFAIK you won't get access to the CLI, but it might be worth a try.

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks!

I could've sworn Ive done it before in the sim which is what threw me off; I also failed to find the specific limitation in the docs although I'm sure its there somewhere.

Thanks again!!

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License