Helpful
Replies

ACE 4710 management port

JAN DEVOS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am new to the 4710 appliance.

Apart from the 4 GE 'data' ports, there are 2 Ethernet 'management' ("console") ports.  I find the description in the "quick start guide"

somewhat confusing. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/ace_appliances/vA3_2_2/

configuration/quick/guide/setup.html#wp1010328

Is a first-time serial connection (at least to run the initial config. script) mandatory?  Or can you obtain the same result via one of the 2 Ethernet management ports and using a default ip address (192.168.1.10 ?)

When running the initial config. script (only possible from the serially connected console i suppose), you have to select your management port.

Why does the system in step 5 proposes  you 4 ports, and not just 2? I suppose the intended port for management is one of the 2 management ports, not one of the 4 data ports?

Step 5 Select port 1 to carry management VLAN communication by pressing Enter.

Enter the Ethernet port number to be used as the management port 
(1-4):? [1]:

Why the discrepancy between step 9 where port 1 is confirmed and step 10, where port 1/3 is confirmed in the detals?

Step 9 Examine the entered values.

Summary of entered values: 

Management Port: 1

Ip address 172.25.91.110

etc.

Step 10 Review the configuration details by entering d.

Submit the configuration including security settings to the ACE 
Appliance? (yes/no/details): [y]: d

interface gigabitEthernet 1/3

switchport access vlan 1000

no shut

And why is there reference to a VLAN here, despite it is an untagged port?  The ace is not a LAN switch?

Once configured with an IP address, can the management port be connected to an out-of-band management network for telnet/ssh access, apart from web access?

Tx a lot.

1 Reply 1

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jan,

When the ACE is shipped, the configuration is completely empty, so at that time, the only way to connect to it is through the console port. These ports are not capable of any IP communication.

During the setup script, when it asks you to configure a management port, it means for IP management (telnet / ssh / http). At that point, you are requested to choose from the 4 data ports for this management.

The vlan is required because, on the ACE, you are not allowed to configure IP addresses on any physical interface, only on SVI. This shouldn't cause any issues to your switch since the port is configured as a switchport (which means that the vlan tag will not be added to the packets)

Finally, regarding the discrepancy you mentioned, in step 5, we just see that the default port number is 1, but not what was chosen when the outputs were taken. My guess is that, at the time when the document was created, the user chose port number 3 instead. Anyway, this should not be a concern, the script will work for whatever port number you choose.

I hope this helps

Daniel