Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE 4710 Probes on other servers than the real server

ashley_dew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wanted to know if there is a means to configure a probe that is independent of the real servers.

The aim is to configure a probe a real server but also probe another intermediate server which is not in the server farm.

The objective is to declare the real server down if its probe fails but also the probe to an intermediate server fails as well as a or condition.

From the document, there is no mention of it.

But is there a means to do it.

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ashley,

i see it is not mentioned anywhere in document but i think ou should be able to bind two probes with real server of which one probe is actually probing another server.

I would configure one probe let's say TCP based and bind it with serverfarm. Then i would configure another probe TCP based and define IP address in that probe (the other server IP which we need to probe) and bind this probe with same serverfarm. Serverfarm will not have this rserver added. And then i would configure "fail-on-all" and test if that works for you.

i know you can set probe on redirect server/serverfarm which actually probes another real server so logically should work for normal host rserver as well. But i have never tested it myself.

Regards,

Kanwal

View solution in original post

Hi Ashley,

I am sorry but i didn't get your requirement. If you want that rserver in serverfarm should go down if the rserver which is "independent" along with "actual rserver probe" go down then fail on all is what you need to do but i guess from your requirement  you would want that if any of the two probes associated with server go down, it should go down then you don't need to do anything because by default it is OR behavior.

Let me know if that answers your query or i got it wrong what you are asking.

Regards,

Kanwal

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ashley,

i see it is not mentioned anywhere in document but i think ou should be able to bind two probes with real server of which one probe is actually probing another server.

I would configure one probe let's say TCP based and bind it with serverfarm. Then i would configure another probe TCP based and define IP address in that probe (the other server IP which we need to probe) and bind this probe with same serverfarm. Serverfarm will not have this rserver added. And then i would configure "fail-on-all" and test if that works for you.

i know you can set probe on redirect server/serverfarm which actually probes another real server so logically should work for normal host rserver as well. But i have never tested it myself.

Regards,

Kanwal

Thanks Kanwal.

I will test it and see how it works out.

Hi, it works out well.

Thanks very much.

Now, I have another issue. On the command, there is only 2 options failonall and failor.

The setup is as follows

1 rserver probe

2 independent server probes.

Condition required rserver fail only if:

rserver probe fail

rserver active and all independent server probles fail

Hi Ashley,

I am sorry but i didn't get your requirement. If you want that rserver in serverfarm should go down if the rserver which is "independent" along with "actual rserver probe" go down then fail on all is what you need to do but i guess from your requirement  you would want that if any of the two probes associated with server go down, it should go down then you don't need to do anything because by default it is OR behavior.

Let me know if that answers your query or i got it wrong what you are asking.

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

Sorry for not being clear.

I managed to get the probe to work on fail-or condition on either the real server probe and an external server probing works out.

I guess I could create a server farm representing these external servers and probe the virtual ip and use an or condition as well.

However again thanks for all.