cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE CONTEXT QUESTION

frankamankwah1
Level 1
Level 1

I am designing an environment that would need two ACE contexts (DMZ and HotDMZ). My plan is to host databases on HotDMZ while hosting the web apps on the other context. I have defined 3 VLANs (11(outside),192(Apps farm) and 195 (Inter-Context vlan)) on the DMZ context. I have also defined vlan 195 on the HotDMZ context and intend to use that as the only link between HOT and HotDMZ contexts. My problem is how do I get the inter-context vlans to talk to each other? Do I need to assign a physical interface to the inter-Context vlan or I can configure them to talk using the back plane of the ACE appliance?

In short, how do I get Inter-Context vlans to talk to each other?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Context can not talk directly to each other on the ACE. If they need to talk to each other, they must leave the ACE and route via SVI, routed ported, etc and then come back into the other context. Think of each context as a completely different piece of hardware and how you would route to/from that device.

Thanks Collin....

I created a shared vlan between the two contexts and can now get the contexts to ping each other. My problem now is that I can not ping across the shared vlan when I do so on the two contexts in the same appliance but I successfully ping across the shared vlan when directed towards a context on the failover ACE.

A --> B = Ping fails

A --> B' = Ping works

A' --> B = Ping works

A = Active appliance context A

A'= Standby appliance context A

Thanks again.

rstaats
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact same issue.  Is there any fix for this?  I could understand the answer would be a routed SVI, etc, if the contexts were in different VLANs but I am using a shared VLAN between contexts.  I see the same problem as the original poster:

A --> B  = Ping fails

A --> B' = Ping works

A' --> B = Ping works

A = Active appliance context A

A'= Standby appliance context A

Thanks,

Bob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: