Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE IP stickyness timeout question

MMazuhelli_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are using an ACE20 module running version A2(3.2).

I have a question regarding IP stickyness and the timeout parameter.

I found this in the "Server load balancing configuration guide" (in a section entitled: "Configuring a Timeout for IP Address Stickiness"):

"The sticky timeout specifies the period of time that the ACE keeps (if possible) the IP address sticky information for a client connection in the sticky table after the latest client connection terminates. The ACE resets the sticky timer for a specific sticky-table entry each time that the module opens a new connection or receives a new HTTP GET on an existing connection that matches that entry."

The parts in bold seem to point to the fact that the timeout is an "inactivity timeout" as the counter is reset on every new connection.

The next section in the documentation is entitled: "Enabling an IP Address Sticky Timeout to Override Active Connections" and says:

"By default, the ACE ages out a sticky table entry when the timeout for that entry expires and no active connections matching that entry exist. To specify that the ACE time out IP address sticky table entries even if active connections exist after the sticky timer expires, use the timeout activeconns command."

This seems to contradict the previous statement.

So my question is: is the IP stickyness timeout an "inactivity timeout" or not?

Thank you very much,

Marc.

1 Reply 1

wim.juste
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marc,

As far I as know, using default setting while configuring the sticky parameter, the client sticky entry/information gets dropped out of the sticky table as long as the client hasn't been generating traffic.

On the other hand, if you enable "TIMEOUT ACTIVECONNS" in the sticky configuration options, the client sticky/information gets dropped out of the sticky table regardless the activity of the user.

Bye,

Wim