Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Leastconn question

dknov
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I had just moved one server farm from round-robin to leastconns with slowstart of 300 second and no new rservers had been added (or failed), they are all the same as before the change.

What I see is that one rserver gets much more hits than other and one of them is practically idle. I know that CSCso93479 states that current connections count in "show serverfarm" is inaccurate, but I cannot understand such a difference....

Is total connections counter bugged as well?

----------connections-----------

real weight state current total failures

---+---------------------+------+------------+----------+----------+---------

rserver: prmesapp11

10.16.127.17:0 8 OPERATIONAL 23 6 0

rserver: prmesapp12

10.16.127.18:0 8 OPERATIONAL 44 187 0

rserver: prmesapp13

10.16.127.19:0 8 OPERATIONAL 31 43 0

rserver: prmesapp14

10.16.127.20:0 8 OPERATIONAL 27 62 0

Or am i missing something about leastconns predictor?

Thanks a lot!

David

3 Replies 3

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

do you have stickyness ?

G.

Hi,

Nope. I was trying to see what I can do about this, so I removed the leastconn (reverting back to round-robin) then configured leastconn back, but without slow-start parameter. What I immediately noticed is that servers started to be hit in a more equal manner, which is what I expected. I then reapplied the leastconn command, but with slow-start parameter and it would seem that session distribution was as expected. I assume that maybe removing and reapplying leastconn command did the trick, or maybe slow-start parameter was somehow misbehaving when I first applied it....

Now what I noticed is there are some sessions under failure column of "show serverfarm" output and I don't believe I had those before I switched to leastconn. The number is very low, like 5 failed versus 30,000 total, but still I was wondering if there is anything different with leastconn from round-robin that would cause some of the sessions to fail ?

Thanks!

David

David,

we have a few slowstart issue where the internal data structure could get corrupted preventing some servers to receive traffic.

You may have hit such a problem.

CSCsx80991: ACE: Leastcon negative weight after adding new rservers

Usually, removing/adding the predictor does fix the problem.

Next time you see the issue, you should open a service request to receive guidance on what information to collect.

The procedure is not as easy as show ....

Regarding the failure, it is independent of the predictor.

We count a failure when the connection can't be established.

Reset from server or no response.

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: