Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Load balancing from the server side vlan

zahir_ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have an issue that I would like some advice on using the ACE 4700 appliance. i have a client side and server side VLANS confiured on our ACE appliance, so its confiured in routed mode.

Client side VLAN is:

interface vlan 9

description CLIENT SIDE VIP VLAN

ip address 10.0.9.252 255.255.255.0

Server side VLAN is:

interface vlan 6
  description SERVER SIDE VLAN
  ip address 10.0.6.252 255.255.255.0

My clients can come from any VLAN and hit the VIP on VLAN 9 10.0.9.252 for example and get load balanced - this is all working fine.

However, I have some application servers that reside in vlan 6 (server side) and the flow that i am trying to achieve is:

Clients hit a VIP on vlan 9 which load balances the traffic to my applications servers in VLAN 6. The application servers need to access other servers (that are laod balanced) that also reside in VLAN 6 but I want the applications servers to hit the VIP in VLAN 9 and then get load balanced back in vlan 6.

This is currently not working!!

The servers in vlan 6 use the ACE vlan 6 interface as their default gateway. Will the ACE moduloe allow the flow to come from vlan 6 (app servers) to the VIP (VLAN9) and then back to VLAN 6?

If the ACE does not allow this, then the only thing that I comes to mind is to put the app servers in another VLAN and configure another interface on the ACE module for that VLAN. Not sure how to achieve this, so need some advice..

Thanks

Zee

2 Replies 2

Cesar Roque
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Zahir,

Please paste or send me the configuration you have in place right now.  It should work.

We just need to have the service-policy in both interfaces.

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team

--------------------- Cesar R ANS Team

ajayku2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Zahir,

You can apply the VIP policy on Vlan 6 and it should work. You will be able to access other servers using VIP address from application servers.

regards,

Ajay Kumar