Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE redundancy two vlans

Artem Volkov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, friends. I need you ACE experience.

I have pair of ACEs witch are arranged on the different locations.

This ACEs work in active/failover mode throught heartbeat VLAN throught OTV.

ft interface vlan 989
ip address 10.46.201.33 255.255.255.252
peer ip address 10.46.201.34 255.255.255.252
no shutdown

ft peer 1
heartbeat interval 1000
heartbeat count 10
ft-interface vlan 989
ft group 1
peer 1
priority 150
associate-context Admin
inservice

There are more than one connections between location, and i want to use them for redundancy too. So if vlan 989 will fail, active ACE must be still active because of connectivity of throught vlan (for example ft interface vlan 990).

Can i configure this on ACE?

Regards.

Artem.

1 Reply 1

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Artem,

The feature is called "Query Interface". You can configure it and even if ft vlan is down, standby will ping this interface (query) vlan and if this is UP, standby will not assume the role of ACTIVE.

Configuring a Query Interface

Configure a query interface to allow the standby member to determine whether the active member is down or if there is a connectivity problem with the FT VLAN. A query interface helps prevent two redundant contexts from becoming active at the same time for the same FT group. Before triggering a switchover, the ACE pings the active member to make sure that it is down. Configuring a query interface allows you to assess the health of the active member, but it increases switchover time.

To configure a query interface, use the query-interface command in FT peer configuration mode. The syntax of this command is:

query-interface vlan vlan_id

The vlan_id argument specifies the identifier of an existing VLAN. Enter an integer from 2 to 4094.

For example, to configure a query interface, enter:

host1/Admin(config-ft-peer)# query-interface vlan 400

To remove the query interface from the peer configuration, enter:

host1/Admin(config-ft-peer)# no query-interface vlan 400

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/ace_appliances/vA1_7_/configuration/administration/guide/admgd/redundcy.html#wp1013201

Regards,

Kanwal

Note: Please mark answers if they are helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: