Views
Helpful
Replies

ace route health injection

Slaven Cosic
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to configure route health injection. We have two Cisco 7613 with ace module ACE 2(1) on different locations. The goal is that one location is prefered for traffic to VIP then the other. In order to achieve that  i have configured "loadbalance vip advertise metric 200" on one ACE module.  I thought that VIP should be advertised with METRIC=200 and after that redistributed through OSPF  so that other routers "sees" VIP address to that location with meteric= 200+x. On second ACE module VIP should be adveritsed with metric=0 so that other routers  "sees" VIP address to the second location with metric=0+x. The problem is that VIP address is injected in router 7613 with DISTANCE=200, and metric=0???

this is the command output on CIsco7613:

sp#show ip route 89.111.228.35
Routing entry for 89.111.228.35/32
  Known via "static", distance 200, metric 0<--------------------------------
  Redistributing via ospf 10
  Advertised by ospf 10 metric-type 1 subnets
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  * 89.111.228.34, via Vlan6
      Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

In this situation route 89.111.228.35/32 is redistributed in OSPF with metric of 0 and other routers "sees" route 89.111.228.35/32 with metric=0+x, so I can not use RHI to achieve that one location is prefered over the other.

ACE and router configuration are in attachment.

Kind Regards,

Sladjana

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Indeed that's the way ACE works.

We modify the distance and not the metric.

You can control the metric of ospf redistributed routes

gdufour-cat6k1(config-router)#redistribute static metric ?
  <0-16777214>  OSPF default metric

You can set the metric you want there.

Gilles.

thank you Gilles,

command syntax: "loadbalance vip advertise metric" misled me to the wrong conclusion, so I thought that something is not ok.

I see the command description now:

# loadbalance vip advertise ?
  active  Advertise only if rservers in serverfarm are operational
  metric  Enter distance metric for this route

best regards,

sladjana

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: