Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Application Control Engine (ACE) Deployment

I am looking at deploying an ACE to load balance some Terminal Servers and some Citrix Servers for a large serverfarm consisting of approximately 6 - 10 realservers. We are currently using DNS round-robin to load balance these services but it is not working properly because of the fact that we cannot detect realserver failure - hence the use of the ACE health monitoring.

I face the following potential problems:

1. There is a possibility that we cannot change the IP's on the existing servers that are to be loadbalanced. This imposes a problem for a routed implementation.

2. Assigning a new VIP for the serverfarm might not be possible as it requires reconfiguration of all client machines, which is a large population.

Any comments/ideas? I have thought of using a bridged mode implementation (trickier than L3 Routed implementation). Can I still achieve load balancing without using a VIP when using bridged mode?

Any thoughts on achieving this in bridged mode?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/pointers.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Application Control Engine (ACE) Deployment

what ip address are the clients using to connect right now ?

I don't see how you could perform loadbalancing without a virtual ip address.

Bridge mode is definitely the solution to use if you can't readdress the servers.

It's not really more complex than the routing mode.

Gilles.

Re: Application Control Engine (ACE) Deployment

You could define many VIPS corresponding to the real servers IP and point them all to a single serverfarm which then load balances among the servers.

Would that work ??

Views
Helpful
Replies