Views
Helpful
Replies

Arrowpoint Cookies and their lifetime

jfoerster
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I've a question in regards of arrowpoint cookies. Is the lifetime of a cookie reset every time a new connection with this cookie is setup or counts the liftime after the cookie was set for the first time.

If the last thing is the case how does the CSS ensure that one sticks to the correct server if the lifetime is over?

Kind Regards,

Joerg

3 Replies 3

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the cookie value contains the server name or ip address.

Therefore, the CSS does not keep any sticky table for the cookies.

The normal cookie rules apply regarding lifetime of the cookie on a client.

What you can do is set the expiration time of the cookie on the client.

This is done with the command "arrowpoint-cookie expiration"

Sample config at :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps789/products_tech_note09186a0080094398.shtml

Regards,

Gilles.

HI Gilles,

thanks for the information. One thing I need to know:

Is the lifetime of the cookie reset everytime the Clients establishes a new connection or is the lifetime a fixed value which is entered at the first request and is valid for the lifetime.

If the lifetime is over and the client is still accessing the VIP is the client still sticky to the original server or is possible, that the next request (after the lifetime of the cookie expired) is balanced to another server.

Regards,

Jörg

Joerg,

the answer is - it depends on how you setup your browser.

As mentioned previously, you can set an expiration time on the CSS for the cookie.

No time is specified the cookie has an infinite time of validity.

However, on each browser you can configure what to do with cookie.

For example on my firefox browser I can configure [use expiration time, delete when I close the browser, ask me for each cookie].

Regards,

Gilles.