cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT - WIDE AREA APPLICATION SERVICES (WAAS)

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update for how to deploy and troubleshoot Cisco WAAS v4.1.1 with Cisco expert Robert Pethick. Robert is a consulting systems engineer in the channels data center - east organization. His primary responsibilities are the training and enablement of Cisco partners for the application network service product portfolio. Prior to joining the data center - east team, he was a systems engineer a large enterprise financial customer in New York, NY, supporting routing and switching network design and deployment projects. Robert has been Cisco for nearly 4 years. Prior to joining Cisco he owned his own business centered on network and application performance. With nearly 20 years of networking experience, he holds a degree in electrical engineering from the University of New Haven and is currently pursuing CCIE R&S certification.

Remember to use the rating system to let Robert know if you have received an adequate response.

Robert might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through December 24, 2008. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

36 Replies 36

benjamin2009
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Rob Pethick

I have been testing 2610 and 2611 routers (The only connection is through console port and ethernet to the TFTP server). The routers recognize all the Ethernet and WAN interfaces. The ethernet LED is OK but the WAN cards LED are off as there are unconnected.I have configured the interfaces of these WAN cards(A BRI port and SERIAL port) with IP address, when i use the command Show interface i can see all the interfaces are UP and line protocol is UP. Is this enough to testify that the WAN cards are GOOD or is there any other technical way to test these modules. Does it need to connect all these WAN cards and PING them or is there a command which will be enough to prove that the WAN cards are all GOOD and not FAULTY. Excuse me as this question might not concern your current topic please i need your help.

Best Regards

Alamein Amour

email: amouralamein@yahoo.com

benjamin2009
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir

I have been testing 2610 and 2611 routers (The only connection is through console port and ethernet to the TFTP server). The routers recognize all the Ethernet and WAN interfaces. The ethernet LED is OK but the WAN cards LED are off as there are unconnected.I have configured the interfaces of these WAN cards(A BRI port and SERIAL port) with IP address, when i use the command Show interface i can see all the interfaces are UP and line protocol is UP. Is this enough to testify that the WAN cards are GOOD or is there any other technical way to test these modules. Does it need to connect all these WAN cards and PING them or is there a command which will be enough to prove that the WAN cards are all GOOD and not FAULTY. Excuse me as this question might not concern your current topic please i need your help.

Best Regards

Yes,

You can perform a loopback diagnostic test ont he serial interfaces, looping transmit to receive on the T1 controller

loopback (T1 controller)

To set the loopback method for testing the T1 interface, enter the loopback controller configuration command. Use the no form of this command to restore the default value.

loopback {diagnostic | local {payload | line} | remote {iboc | esf {payload | line}}

no loopback

Syntax Description

diagnostic

Loops the outgoing transmit signal back to the receive signal

line

Places the interface into external loopback mode at the line.

local

Places the interface into local loopback mode.

payload

Places the interface into external loopback mode at the payload level.

remote

Keeps the local end of the connection in remote loopback mode.

iboc

Sends an in-band bit-oriented code to the far-end to cause it to go into line loopback.

esf

Specifies extended super frame as the T1 or E1 frame type.

Usage Guidelines

You can use a loopback test on lines to detect and distinguish equipment malfunctions caused either by line and Channel Service Unit/Digital Service Unit (CSU/DSU) or by the interface. If correct data transmission is not possible when an interface is in loopback mode, the interface is the source of the problem.

Example

The following example shows how to set the diagnostic loopback method on controller T1 0/0:

Router(config)# controller t1 0/0

loopback diagnostic

Hello Rob Pethick

Thanks for the reply and advice. i will let you know the results as soon as i get back home from travel.

I am working at the company where i do some testing of the suspected faulty routers and switches but unfortunately sometimes there are no serial cables or other specific cables to connect these routers and switches configure the interfaces and ports and later ping between them.I was always looking for an alternative way to diagnose these interfaces and ports.If i can use loopback diagnostic to all types of routers and switches then it will be very very helpful.

and it will save me time.

Best Regards

Alamein Amour

Hello Rob Pethick

I write to you again asking if i can use loopback diagnostic to all the WAN modules?

for example ISDN (BRI interfaces) ASDL interfaces and etc.

Best Regards

Alamein Amour

Please post additional requests in the network infrastructure forum.

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

I have an OC-3 link between 2 7204's and also have WAE-7341-K9 on each end. How should I configure the Acceleration TCP Settings to maximize throughput? Should I follow the formula calculating BDP?

thanks,

If you are using version 4.1 there is no need to tune the TCP buffer settings. WAAS 4.1 utilizes adaptive buffering to dynamically vary the size of the send and receive buffers to increase performance and more efficiently use the available network bandwidth.

Earlier versions recommeded 2 x the BDP. If you have very few TCP connections (< 10) then 4 x BDP. Need to be careful the larger the actual buffer size, the fewer the number of TCP connections that can be accommodated.

amitsingh799
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Want to know for e.g. we we take 1841 router with normal chasis having two Fastethernet routed ports. We terminate EoSDH link on one of the Fastethernet port as a WAN Connectivity and the other towards the LAN Intergartion. My Question to you is the bandwidth of Fastethernet is 100Mbps but how much we can configure the bandwidth on the Fastethernet for WAN Connectivity----Do they depend upon the backup plane and memory for the same or some other facts it depends.

Thanks

The 2 x 1000 HWIC will perform at line rate.

See attached, also please go to cisco.com and download the data sheet.

This Q&A is related to WAAS 4.1 Deployment and Troubleshooting. If you need more inofrmation please post in the Network Infrastructure forum.

Hi Robert,

We are having some problems putting WAAS (4.1.1b) with wccp to work on our network.

I am going to try to describe our network:

Two client networks, A and B.

Router_A (2801) is the gateway of network A.

Router_B (2811 w/ NME-WAE) is the gateway of network B.

WAE-612_CM is CM.

WAE-612_A is connected to Router A.

NME-WAE_B is installed in Router_B

Communication between network A and network B has been confirmed.

Communication between WAE-612_CM and both WAE-612_A and NME-WAE_B has been confirmed.

Router_A configuration:

version 12.4

ip wccp 61

ip wccp 62

interface FastEthernet0/0.45

description Ligacao WAN

encapsulation dot1Q 45

ip address 192.168.45.1 255.255.255.0

ip wccp 62 redirect in

!

interface FastEthernet0/0.49

description Ligacao LAN

encapsulation dot1Q 49

ip address 192.168.49.254 255.255.255.0

ip wccp 61 redirect in

!

interface FastEthernet0/0.50

description WAE-612_CM

encapsulation dot1Q 50

ip address 192.168.50.254 255.255.255.0

Router_B configuration:

version 12.4

ip wccp 61

ip wccp 62

interface FastEthernet0/0

description Ligacao WAN

ip address 192.168.45.254 255.255.255.0

ip wccp 62 redirect in

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

description Ligacao LAN

ip address 192.168.240.254 255.255.255.0

ip wccp 61 redirect in

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Integrated-Service-Engine1/0

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

service-module ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

service-module ip default-gateway 10.10.10.1

no keepalive

NME-WAE_B configuration:

! WAAS version 4.1.1b (build b15 Oct 10 2008)

!

device mode application-accelerator

!

wccp router-list 8 10.10.10.1

wccp tcp-promiscuous router-list-num 8

!

central-manager address 192.168.50.11

cms enable

!

WAE-612_A configuration:

! WAAS version 4.1.1b (build b15 Oct 10 2008)

!

device mode application-accelerator

!

interface GigabitEthernet 1/0

ip address 192.168.50.1 255.255.255.0

exit

!

wccp router-list 8 192.168.50.254

wccp tcp-promiscuous router-list-num 8

wccp version 2

!

central-manager address 192.168.50.11

cms enable

!

With this configurations we see some traffic going to WAE but never being optimized.

We have default optimization policies applied (TCP and application level).

Questions:

• Have we configured wccp correctly? The objective is to optimize traffic form network A to network B.

• Are we missing any other configuration?

Thanks in advance,

Francisco Sanches

configuration looks good, but not sure I understand the WAN connection setup on router A. There are two subinterfaces being redirected, how does this conenction connect phsyically using one wire?

interface FastEthernet0/0

description Trunk

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

The physical interface is in trunk mode to the switch (cat6500). Each sub-interface belongs to its own VLAN.

please forward me a diagram, also i notice all interface speeds are set to auto. make sure all interfaces show 100M full duplex and not runnign in half duplex.

Also to make sure the traffic is not being looped place ip wccp redirect exclude in on the wae interface.

Hi Ropethic,

I have attached the diagram.

I forced speed 100M full duplex

thank for your help