Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic CSS Functionality Questions

jaredmiller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a CSS 11501 loaner on the way from Cisco, but was hoping to ask a few questions ahead of time. I am relatively new to this, so bear with me.

I have three offices connected via a VPN between two pix devices. Local users and anonymous web traffic all funnels through the remote office. I am hoping I can incorporate a CSS box to direct traffic (via a VPN to another pix) to a third office in the event the www server at the main office is not reachable, but return to the first office when it is back online.

I am a little confused by VIP. Right now, my domain name resolves to an IP address on the outside of my pix which NATs and sends the request on to my web server. If the CSS is behind it, do I create a VIP that maps to the actual IP of the www server, and have the pix send traffic to the VIP?

I have read the PDFs found online, but am still a little foggy.

Thanks,

JM

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the Pix will have to send the traffic to the VIP.

The VIP should be an address existing only on the CSS and that the rest of your network knows how to reach.

The CSS will then nat to the real server ip.

Gilles.

Merci,

I will give that a try, and will be back with more questions I am sure. Thanks again.

JM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: