cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BOX To BOX Redundacny

mbaylis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Just a quick question on Box to box redundancy. Up to now we have only configured the one armed toplogy within our infrastucture. We now have a need to allow the CSS to work "In Line" so I am looking at the box to box topology.

My questions are as follow;

1) Am I right in thinking that the box to box topology does support statefull failover?

2) If I don't add the group command to the configuration, the source addresses will not be NAT'D to the VIP address? Would this affect failover or any other function? The main reason being that our web team would like to collect client statS.

2) Am I right in thinking that its not possible to create different vlans in the one armed topology?

1 Reply 1

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

statefull failover is only possible if you configure ASR.

This function exists only the CSS11500 and requires vip/interface redundancy. It is not supported with box-to-box redundancy.

If you remove/suspend the group, the CSS will stop nating the client ip address.

one armed 1 physical interface with 1 vlan.

This is just a "name" to qualify a particular design. The CSS does not know about one armed or inline.

So, if you have a single physicall interface betwen your CSS and a switch, it is possible to make this link a trunk and have multiple vlans. You would then be outside the one-armed mode.

Gilles.

Gilles.