cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a GSS respond with a different IP if a target server is down?

Brian M
Level 1
Level 1

This is my first GSS and I have read the Cisco Administration guide so please take pity on me.

I don't have any CRA or VIP devices on my network , so is it possible to have the GSS return one IP address if the target device is up and another IP address if the target device is down?

For instance I would like the following scenario to work:

1. The user tries to open 'payroll.mydomain.com' (10.0.0.10) which is located in Houston.

2. payroll.mydomain.com is an alias for a server called 'ora01.mydomain.com'

3. The Houston servers are down due to hurricane.

4. Instead of responding with 10.0.0.10 it returns 10.0.10.10 which is the IP address for 'ora02.mydomain.com'

Can this be accomplished without CRA or SLB?

2 Replies 2

Hi Brain,

You can achieve this using GSS.

Define Answers - 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.10.10 in different answer group.

In the DNS rule wizard

Define the balance clause 1 to use the 1st answer group server at Houston site (10.0.0.10)

define the second balance clause to use the the second answer group (10.0.0.10).

The GSS will respond with second clause answer group when the 1st clause is not available i.e when the answers(servers) defined in answer group is offline.

Thank you for your reply, that was exactly what I needed. When I read through the book I didn't quite get the fact that a VIP could be a web server, or any other device. I was only using Name Servers as my answers and that was where my problem was at.

Thanks again!!