Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ACE module and 4710 appliance work redundant together

olemariuss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I am setting up a testlab for ACE loadbalancing and need to test functionality on both the ACE module and the 4710 appliance.

Can one of each of these two be set up redundant together with full functionality? Or do I have to test redundancy for 2x ACE modules and 2x 4710 appliances seperate?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shailesh.h
Level 1
Level 1

Usually it's recommended to use two identical infrastructure for redundancy by Cisco. If we take that view then definately you need

1. 2 ACE modules

2. 2 X 4710 NLB

If you already have these you can use context in the existing device for redundancy...

Since you are creating test lab... what exactly you want to test... so objective will drive what you need to acquire... More details are much appreciated..

Shailesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

shailesh.h
Level 1
Level 1

Usually it's recommended to use two identical infrastructure for redundancy by Cisco. If we take that view then definately you need

1. 2 ACE modules

2. 2 X 4710 NLB

If you already have these you can use context in the existing device for redundancy...

Since you are creating test lab... what exactly you want to test... so objective will drive what you need to acquire... More details are much appreciated..

Shailesh

It is to standarize a generic setup to be deployed on several platforms. Some of the platforms have 6500s and some do not. That is why I need to be sure the design works on both on the module and the appliance. The generic model also requires a redundant design.

I do not have the equipment yet and need to go shopping. Just needed clarification if I could buy one of each or needed to double the shopping-cart. Thanks for clarification!

As far as Cisco no single point of failure design is concern to recommend dual cart to acquire and configure..

With regards,

Shailesh Hardas

It won't work.

The code checks if the devices are the same during the HA negotiation.

If you do a 'show ft peer detail' you should see at the end :

SRG Compatibility            : WARM_COMPATIBLE
License Compatibility        : INCOMPATIBLE

These 2 entries indicate if the box are compatible to run HA between each other.

The version is checked and the license.

Both would be different between an ACE module and ACE appliance.

Gilles

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: