Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I telnet from the CSS 11500 ?

I want to telnet my server switches from the CSS, right now I can't. I don't even see the telnet command. Is this possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrhiggi
Level 3
Level 3

Unfortunately, there is no way to open a telnet/ssh connection from the CSS CLI to another device as with a Cisco router.  This is also not a planned feature either.  You could bug your Cisco Sales engineer to open an enhancement request if you wish to have it considered to be added in.  However, given the lifecycle of the product and the ability of the ACE4710/ACE Modules to be able to telent, I would assume that the feature would not make it in prior to the product going end of life.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't see any commands to support telnet from the CSS.

Hope it helps.

chrhiggi
Level 3
Level 3

Unfortunately, there is no way to open a telnet/ssh connection from the CSS CLI to another device as with a Cisco router.  This is also not a planned feature either.  You could bug your Cisco Sales engineer to open an enhancement request if you wish to have it considered to be added in.  However, given the lifecycle of the product and the ability of the ACE4710/ACE Modules to be able to telent, I would assume that the feature would not make it in prior to the product going end of life.

Thanks for your help guys, I can't imagine why is not supported... Anyway I'll find another solution

Glad to help!

In regards to the *why* of this - It is entirely historical.  Cisco aquired Arrowpoint specifically for the CSS.  The loadbalancer and the code running on it have only been modified along the way to add new features and fix bugs.  One of the reasons the CSS was so fast in the first place was that everything in WebNS code on it is custom coded, even the TCP stack.  Anything that was not essential to the CSS's operation was left out.  Hence, the ability to telnet/SSH was never put in by Arrowpoint, and Cisco never added it.

The CSS has been around for a really long time.  Many of our products these days have very similiar command lines because at a point in time, we made a choice to unify the look and feel of products as much as possible.  Older products, like the CSS, that have been around since the AGS/25XX router days were not grandfathered in because we would have to re-code the entire product.  It made more sense to expend the time to change behavior on products moving from that time forward like the CSM, SSLM, ACE, etc

Regards,

Chris

r.sneekes
Level 1
Level 1

U can.  Use the socket connect host xxxx port xxx command.

Socket sends a 3 way handshake over TCP or UDP and leaves the connection idle as a way of testing.  It does not emaulate the telnet or SSH in any way and was designed as a testing tool only.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: