cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't upgrade software on Edge-WAE from manager.

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

From the WAE manager I see the Edge-WAE and it is registered. I can telnet and also get a GUI connection to the edge WAE from the manager. From the manager I try to upgrade the software and it tries twice and then fails. I've upgraded other edge-WAEs from this manager just fine and I have the correct software file on the manager.

I'm upgrading from 4.0.9 to 4.0.17.

No error messages display on the edge WAE when I'm consoled into it. Any idea what may be causing the manager to fail when attempting to upgrade an edge-WAE?

Is there a way to monitor/debug this process on the edge that may help shed some light on what is failing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jim,

Go to the WAE attempting the upgrade and see if it can ping or resolve the name of the FTP server you are using. It may be a connectivity issue to the source of the file.

Another thing you can try is to do the actual upgrade from the CLI using the command "copy ftp install .bin"

See if that helps,

Dan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jim,

Go to the WAE attempting the upgrade and see if it can ping or resolve the name of the FTP server you are using. It may be a connectivity issue to the source of the file.

Another thing you can try is to do the actual upgrade from the CLI using the command "copy ftp install .bin"

See if that helps,

Dan

Hi Dan - I ended up doing an FTP install and it is fine now. Everything was pinging and all connectivity was good, so I don't know what was wrong. I do have another question if you don't mind regarding FTP. Why does the FTP client process on the WAE boxes require inputing a directory before the file name? Usually the FTP server sets the directory and the client , when connecting to the FTP server, is dropped off into that directory.

Jim,

The FTP client can take a directory in case the FTP server has subdirectories. I think I've been able to just put in a space or / in place of the directory path if the files are in the root.

Dan

Thanks - I'll try that next time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: