cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE-500 skip gzip encoding (HTTP1.1 request)

khhamdallah
Level 1
Level 1

When an http request with gzip encoding is send throught a cache

engine (transparent mode WCCPV2), the request,loose the gzip encoding ?

is there any known problem with compressed data when using CE-500 (transparent mode) !

7 Replies 7

pgolding
Level 1
Level 1

Khalid,

From the point of view of the cache, its just a file. The CE does not concern itself with the file type, only the header data in the server response, which will indicate if the content is cachable.

Peter

Peter,

The problem is that the gzip encoding really dissapear when forwarding a CE-505 (sniffer trace before and after forwarding the CE-505).

The client request is sent with following "Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate" but when forwarding the CE-505 this parameter dissapear.

Regards.

I think CE _must_ (because this is Cisco!) support sending compressed (read "gzip-ed") pages to client's, but why this not implemented - i don't know :( I have some annoyed customers who want's see gzip-ed content from my CE's and i _really_ want this future.

Best wishes...

The cache ACNS releases 4.x, 5.x absolutely do support gzip encoded content. However the CE 505 will not run any recent ACNS code, only older cache engine (CE 1.x, 2.x) code, which only provided real support for http 1.0 and this did not permit encoding of content. The result was that CE 1.x and 2.x removed the accept-encoding header from the request as it passed through.

A bug was opened to add this feature some time ago, but well after CE code was being developed, having moved on to ACNS, so the bug was never actioned. The number is CSCed38945.

This code is long past the final support date now, so no new features or fixes will be available.

Peter.

One more point - CE 505 can not run ACNS, but CE 507 can, and ACNS supports HTTP 1.1 and encoded content.

Peter

Thanks! Your answer are extremely helpfull and places all in the clearest light. Thank you again!

P.S. sry for my english.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: