cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE appears to have an issue with long URLs

joshuabeasley
Level 1
Level 1

I know the CE will not cache if the URL is over 255 characters but I seem to be running into another issue. It appears that when the URL length gets to long it will not allow the page to load, it just hangs. If the end user presses F5 multiple times it will partially load the page after each refresh. This does not occur when going through an ISA server. I have tried this with multiple users and they seem to run into the same issue. I have not determined at what length it begins at. One example would be some of the amazon.com pages that have long URLs and will not load. I put the ISA server in to see if it was the CE causing it, then I thought it could possibly be the way the PIX truncates the URL, but the ISA server would have ran into the same issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

pgolding
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Josh,

Older versions of ACNS have a buffer problem for URL's longer than about 3Kbytes. This is fixed in 5.2.9 and 5.3.5. Could that be it?

Otherwise, any URL that includes session data, i.e. has a question mark ? in the URL, is not cached. I think the IIS type servers are your enemy here.

Peter

I am currently running 5.3.3. I have seen a bug that has issues with http persistent-connections that causes the page to not load, I am going to try disabling the persistent connections but I do not think it will resolve it.

I have a rule in place to deal with suspicious_urls (urls with a ?) and it seems to be cacheing them. (Be careful doing this because if you do not supply specific no-cache rules, it will cache web mail, making everyone’s sent and deleted files viewable to anyone else that uses the same mail provider behind the CE).

The problem doesn't appear to be a problem with the URL not being cached, because if it wasn't cached it would send it out to get the data, it just hangs and the page never loads.

Could you give an example of rules to deal with url containing a ?, please?

Could you give an example of rules to deal with url containing a ?, please?