Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

CE Standby Config and Firewalls

Hi,

I've a problem getting a CE 7305 with standby config to work. The problem seems to be related to firewall where the ip default-gateway is pointing to. If I point the ip default-gateway (DG)to another router in this segment the standy works properly. If I do a ping on the FW I see an arp-entry in the CE but I don't get a response.

Pointing back the DG to the firewall the standby works for some seconds but afterwards no link is active. What do I have to permit on the FW to have the FW as default GW? Is a permit ICMP standby ip of the CE to the default GWs IP-Adresse enough or should this work without any permission on the FW-side. Btw the FW is a Cat6k with the Firewall blade.

Kind Regards,

Joerg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: CE Standby Config and Firewalls

Make sure the inside IP addresses are permitted on the firewall. I don't think you need to have a special configuration on the firewall for it to work as a default gateway. You could check for bugs in the Bugtool kit to rule out any known issue.

2 REPLIES
Silver

Make sure the inside IP addresses are permitted on the firewall. I don't think you need to have a special configuration on the firewall for it to work as a default gateway. You could check for bugs in the Bugtool kit to rule out any known issue.

Bronze

HI,

you are right the most important thing is that this IP-Adress is pingable. I talked to FW guys and did a sniffertrace with them and we saw icmp echo and echo-replys in the trace.

Thanks...

Cheers

Joerg

Views
Helpful
Replies