Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACE default vlan

mwajnsztok
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I am installing a ACE 4700 in a customer but when i started to work and saw their topology, then i realized that i had a problem. The problem is that i cannot create the interface vlan 1 and assign an ip address to it. I saw some documments is cisco.com site that the ACE hide this vlan.

Follows my topology:

Servers vlan are the vlan 1

Clients vlans are 5

Management vlan is 8

As i undertood, the ACE has to have at least one interface in the servers vlan, but i cant create the VLAN 1. So my problem is, how do i unhide the vlan 1 in the ACE so i can configure an ip address on it.

Leandro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

If you can't have the customer migrate the servers into a different VLAN, you need to trick a bit, as VLAN1 is not usable on the ACE.

Pick a VLAN number that you will use inside the ACE for the outer VLAN1. Say, VLAN101.

If you have an access port connecting to the server segment, just set it to 101:

switchport access vlan 101

If you connect via a trunk, set your native VLAN to 101:

switchport trunk native vlan 101

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

If you can't have the customer migrate the servers into a different VLAN, you need to trick a bit, as VLAN1 is not usable on the ACE.

Pick a VLAN number that you will use inside the ACE for the outer VLAN1. Say, VLAN101.

If you have an access port connecting to the server segment, just set it to 101:

switchport access vlan 101

If you connect via a trunk, set your native VLAN to 101:

switchport trunk native vlan 101