cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco GSS Load Balance on multiple ports

franklin664
Level 1
Level 1

I have a server with 2 ip address assigned to it.  The first has the application running on the normal http port 80 and on the second ip address the same application is running on port 100.

Is there a way to setup the GSS so that when some one hits application.lb.com it load balances between the application running on the ip address with port 80 and the ip address with the application running on port 100?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good afternoon,

The GSS is load-balancing traffic based on DNS, so I'm afraid it cannot take ports into account. However, you could load-balance between the two IP addresses without issues.

I'm not sure if this would be possible in your setup, but, you could try to configure a redirection on the second address of the server itself from port 80 to port 100.

Regards

Daniel

Can this be done with a Cisco ACE?

Thanks

With an ACE (or any other standard load-balancer), it would be a very different setup. In that case, the FQDN would only resolve to one single IP address (which would be the one of the ACE VIP) and then the ACE will load-balance in the backend between the two servers.

In this situation, you can configure a rserver as a combination of IP and port, so you would easily achieve what you require

Regards

Daniel

There is only one server with 2 ip addresses.  But it sounds like we can do it.  We have an ACE and a GSS.  Can you send me a link on the setup of rserver combination.  I have never setup anything on the ACE.

In combination of ACE and GSS it will be possible to build up your setup.

Hi,

The configuration on the ACE would more or less look like the one below:

rserver host SERVER_80

ip address x.x.x.x 80  --> First address of the server

inservice

rserver host SERVER_100

ip address y.y.y.y 100 --> Second address of the server

inservice

serverfarm host FARM

rserver SERVER_80

inservice

rserver SERVER_100

inservice

policy-map type loadbalance first-match LB_POLICY

class class-default

serverfarm FARM

class-map match-all VIP

2 match virtual-address z.z.z.z tcp eq www --> Virtual IP (the one returned by the GSS)

policy-map multi-match MULTI_POLICY

class VIP   

loadbalance vip inservice

loadbalance policy LB_POLICY

loadbalance vip icmp-reply

interface vlan CLIENT_VLAN

ip address

service-policy input MULTI_POLICY

For more details on how to configure the ACE, I would recommend you to refer to the official documentaion, as well as the link below, which includes several examples

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Application_Control_Engine_%28ACE%29_Configuration_Examples

I hope this helps

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

If one has GSS setup so when accessing www.myapplication.lb.com, GSS has two A records, DC A VIP and DC B VIP. DNS rule is setup for a DR scenario (i.e. balance method is Ordered List), so all traffic goes to DC A and only to DC B if DC a is unavailable.

Access to the VIP's is required on the same VIP(FQDN) on two different ports. Would the above GSS implemnetation in combination with the below sample ACE config be sufficeint. I think, so. Just like your input if possible, or any of the other esteemed members.

rserver host SERVER_A

ip address x.x.x.10

inservice

rserver host SERVER_B

ip address x.x.x.11

inservice

rserver host SERVER_C

ip address x.x.x.12

inservice

rserver host SERVER_D

ip address x.x.x.13

inservice

serverfarm host FARM_80

rserver SERVER_A 80

inservice

rserver SERVER_B 80

inservice

rserver SERVER_C 80

inservice

rserver SERVER_D 80

inservice

serverfarm host FARM_100

rserver SERVER_A 100

backup-rserver SERVER_B 100

inservice

rserver SERVER_B 100

inservice standby

policy-map type loadbalance first-match LB_80_POLICY

class class-default

serverfarm FARM_80

policy-map type loadbalance first-match LB_100_POLICY

class class-default

serverfarm FARM_100

class-map match-all VIP_80

2 match virtual-address z.z.z.z tcp eq www --> Virtual IP (the one returned by the GSS)

class-map match-all VIP_100

2 match virtual-address z.z.z.z tcp eq 100 --> Virtual IP (the one returned by the GSS)

policy-map multi-match MULTI_POLICY

class VIP_80  

loadbalance policy LB_80_POLICY

class VIP_100  

loadbalance policy LB_100_POLICY

interface vlan CLIENT_VLAN

ip address

service-policy input MULTI_POLICY

Many Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

In the setup you are mentioning, what you would have is two datacenters isolated from each other. In each one of those, you would have an ACE module with the two servers corresponding to that datacenter configured. The configuration for both datacenters would be the one I proposed, only the IP addresses (both of the VIP and the rservers) would be different for each datacenter.

Let me also add one other comment to your configuration. What was originally requested was load-balancing to two servers (actually, one with two addresses) listening on different ports. What you proposed is a VIP listening on two ports and with different load-balancing depending on what port is used.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the reponse. So it sounds like this will achieve what we require. We would also just have to create the relevent keep-Alives on the GSS for multiple ports on the VIP's at each DC.

Apologies for straying from the original thread request.

Thank you again.

Paul.