cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

code level upgrade on WAE devices

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

We're upgrading the code level on our WAE devices from 4.0.13 to 4.0.19. Can someone please tell me if the same file should be used for the CM upgrade (wae 612) as for wae 512's?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes,

The same file is used for all devices and hardware models.

Dan

Dan, Thnx..

We have 2 CM's - one is active and the other one is the stand-by. If we upgrade the stand-by first, would it take over as the active one? Is there a heartbeat between the CM's?

Thanks again..

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I usually upgrade the standby first, it will go offline as the CMS databases has to be the same version for CM-to-CM replication. Once you upgrade the primary, then they will start CMS repliation again.

The failover to standby is a manual procedure, so it won't take over unless you fail it via the CLI.

There is a 5 minutes CMS replication between the boxes, also depending on if you have fast device offline detection turned on or not, a 30 second heartbeat can be enabled for all boxes.

Hope that helps... Good luck with your upgrade!

Dan

Can you please point me to the doc, where I can read up on how to manually fail over a primary CM to the standby?

Thanks..

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dan, thanks..

One more question please..We're using the WAE's as print servers, so we have lots of print drivers in the primary CM's repository. Is there a way to salvage them during the upgrade?

thanks again..

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Going from 4.0.13 to 4.0.19 shouldn't effect your print drivers.

Dan

Hmm...in the link that you referred me to, it says that the print drivers are not auto replicated from the primary to the standby. Also, when the primary is being switched to the standby, it looses all of its configuration. So, if I upgrade the standby first and then switch primary to the standby, would not I lose the print drivers?

Sorry for being such a nerd on this, but we have lots of print drivers and I do not want to run a chance of losing them..Thanks much.

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think I may have added confusion by answering 2 different questions in the same response, so let me clarify.

1. During an upgrade, it is not needed to fail over from primary to standby, I would upgrade the standby first and then the primary. During this upgrade, the standby CM will go offline until they are both at the same version of code. It's good practice to perform a backup your Primary CM (including print drivers).

2. Failing over from Primary to Secondary is a manual process. If your Primary goes offline for catastrophic reason, then you should bring on the Standby as Primary until you can get the hardware replaced, etc. As to the print driver migration, you need to copy the tdb files stored under the directory "/var/lib/samba/" of the Primary Central Manager to the Standby Central Manager....or reinstall the print drivers.

Hope that clarifies my earlier answer.

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: