Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cookies after 1024 Bytes in a CSS 11051

If you use arrowpoint cookies as sticky method and because of a very long http header (very long get url and refer fields) you are beyond 1024 bytes, could this make the CSS not being able to read the cookie and think that there isn't any present?

I say this because I have read in the White Paper:

Cisco Web Network Services Software for Web and Application Hosting

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/11000/prodlit/cswhs_wi.htm

The next paragraph:

Cisco CSS 11000 series switches are able to read deep into the HTTP header (up to 1024 bytes) and make forwarding decisions based on the entire URL, cookies, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) session ID.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Cookies after 1024 Bytes in a CSS 11051

the limitation is number of packets.

The default is 6 packets. So, the cookie has to be present in the first 6 packets.

If you take a MTU of 1500 bytes, it means the cookie must be in the first 9000 bytes.

This limitation of 6 packets can be increased to 20 with the global configuration command 'span'.

If you want to use server's cookie with the 'string' command, there is a limitation for the length of the string.

It used to be 1024 but it was increased to 2000 bytes.

Gilles.

4 REPLIES
Silver

When arrowpoint cookies are used, the arrowpoint-cookie command is used to configure the ArrowPoint cookie path and expiration time. The CSS generates the ArrowPoint cookie transparently for a client, the client stores it and returns it in subsequent requests, and the CSS later uses it to maintain the client-server stickiness. This cookie contains the sticky information itself and does not refer to a sticky table.

If you configure the arrowpoint-cookie method in a content rule, the CSS always checks for the existence of the ArrowPoint cookie when it receives a client request. If this cookie does not exist, the CSS performs server load balancing and generates an ArrowPoint cookie.

Hence I don't think there would be a case wherein the CSS would not be able to read the cookie and think that there isn't any present.

Thanks,

I understand exactly what you are exposing

but my question is if there is any limit in the length of the HTTP header for "checking for the existence of the Arrowpoint cookie"

because I can have before the cookie line in the HTTP header some other information as the command (very long GET) and href line (also very long) and some other lines that make the HTTP besides some other cookies very long before the Arrowpoint. I saw an HTTP header of 1200 Bytes.

Cisco Employee

the limitation is number of packets.

The default is 6 packets. So, the cookie has to be present in the first 6 packets.

If you take a MTU of 1500 bytes, it means the cookie must be in the first 9000 bytes.

This limitation of 6 packets can be increased to 20 with the global configuration command 'span'.

If you want to use server's cookie with the 'string' command, there is a limitation for the length of the string.

It used to be 1024 but it was increased to 2000 bytes.

Gilles.

Thanks very much, this solves my question

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content