Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM client vlan addressing

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

I'm testing out some new topologies for a planned installation and I have a question about the addressing that should be used on the client vlan of the CSM.

In my topology I'll be running the CSM adjacent to a FWSM, with the MSFC will be on the inside of the FWSM.  Typically I assign a router-router or router-FW link a /29 range and assign the actual devices addresses in that range.  In my first test I setup the CSM and FWSM in a /29, and used client side VIP addresses in a totally different range.  I added static routes to the FWSM to point to the CSM for those ranges and as far as I can tell it works great.  I also tried the setup with the CSM, FWSM, and VIP addresses all in the same /24 range, and it also worked great.

So while it seems that both worked fine, is there any advantage or technical reason why one would be better than the other, or is it all a matter of choice?  I've attached a diagram to illustrate.

Thanks,

Brandon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brandon,

Any of the two options are perfectly valid, and I see no technical reasons to choose one over the other.

Daniel

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brandon,

Any of the two options are perfectly valid, and I see no technical reasons to choose one over the other.

Daniel