Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM configuration

helponline
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How we can place CSM in Cat6500 switch ? I've a server which is placed in the Cat 6500 switch. Now i want to achieve the Server load balancing by using CSM Module. Can anyone help me out the solution ?

I am looking for step by step procedure to add CSM in the switch as well as Server load balancing in CSM ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a huge topic that can't easily be explain inside a forum.

I would suggest to read the design guide at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns377/net_design_guidance0900aecd800eb95e.pdf

Then if you have more precise questions, get back to us.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a huge topic that can't easily be explain inside a forum.

I would suggest to read the design guide at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns377/net_design_guidance0900aecd800eb95e.pdf

Then if you have more precise questions, get back to us.

Gilles.

Thank you very much it helps me a lot

good pdf about CSM

I just read that pdf and it is great. One question that it doesn't answer. Can your CSM config do both bridging mode and routing mode at the same time?

I have a client side vlan 101 and two server side vlans, 903 vlan one set of load balanced servers and 905 for another set of servers. Each vlan is a different application.

Everthing is set up in router mode right now.

I am interested in trying out bridged mode with one set of servers but not all of them. My understanding is that I can place my servers in a L2 vlan and then on the CSM give it the same IP as the client side vlan so they are bridged together. Would doing this set my vlan 905 in bridged mode but leave my vlan 903 in routed mode?

you can have a mix of bridge mode and routed mode. CSM will bridge when possible and route otherwise.

Gilles.

Yes you can run both bridge and router mode on CSM together.

Infact you can also use same client Vlan for this purpose.

For example

VLAN X & Z are bridged (traffic between VlanX and VlanZ will be bridged)

and Vlan Y is routed (Traffic to and from Vlan Y to other vlans will be routed)

in the following example

Vlan14 and Vlan12 are bridged and traffic between them would be bridged. Vlan224 is routed, i.e. traffic to/from Vlan224 to other vlans (14/12) would be routed.

module ContentSwitchingModule 3

vlan Y server

ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0

alias 10.10.10.100 255.255.255.0

!

vlan Z server

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

alias 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0

!

vlan X client

ip address 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.9

alias 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0

HTH

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

ok, I have tried to configure the bridge mode & it is half working. I configured my client & server side vlans with the same IP address. my reals are in the same subnet as the client vlan and the same vlan where my Virtual server is (VIP). My servers, which sit in the server side vlan have IPs in the client side subnet range and I can get to those just fine. However, my VIP is not comming up. It is not pingable or anything. However, I can ping the reals and the csm shows that the vserver is operational. If that was the case, I would assume that we would be able to ping the VIP.

Any help would be appreciated.

oops. my bad. I didn't have the nat server command.

All is well and it is way cool to see the csm to do both routed and bridged at the same time.

Now my next step is the SSL card in the csm.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: