Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssh

CSM in Bridge mode and STP

How CSM deals with the situation when both modules become active? How can I configure CSM to passthrough STP BPDUs to break loops? I know how can I do it on FWSMs but wondering if there is a way to do it on CSM or there is no way to avoid loops when FT vlan is dead.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: CSM in Bridge mode and STP

There is no way to let BPDU go through and there is no way to avoid loop if the FT vlan goes down.

You have to make sure it never goes down by using etherchannel and any other possible solution.

Gilles.

6 REPLIES

I would also be interested in know the answer to this as I have been in the situation when FT VLAN is down and loop took out our network.

Cisco Employee

There is no way to let BPDU go through and there is no way to avoid loop if the FT vlan goes down.

You have to make sure it never goes down by using etherchannel and any other possible solution.

Gilles.

ssh

Thanks Giles for your response. Is BPDU pass through will ever be implemented or you suggest Routed Mode instead of Bridge mode?

Thanks,

Shahid

Cisco Employee

BPDU passthrough will never be implemented.

I think routing mode is a better solution unless you are using the CSM in combination with a firewall that protect one server vlan from the others.

Gilles.

Giles, customer is requesting exactly this (firewall and vlan protection). Customer would also like to preserve source IP. Is this possible running in Bridge Mode? Thanks!

Shahid - We are also experiencing the same issues here at mitchell. Have you had any luck with a solution or workaround from cisco?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content