Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CSM - IOS SLB failover ?

I can't see this from the documentation, but as far as I can see the configuration commands on the switch are the same for IOS SLB and for the CSM. Does this mean that if you have an CSM which fails, the subset of functions supported by IOS SLB will be ?

I realise performance would be less and only 500 VIPs would be supported etc.

Thanks

Simon

• Application Networking
2 REPLIES

Re: CSM - IOS SLB failover ?

Simon,

I do not think this is the case. If you look closely at the configuration you will see the command ip slb mode csm. This causes all SLB functions to be offloaded to the CSM. The default is ip slb mode rp which is IOS based. If the CSM fails then SLB will stop working. You will need to enter the command ip slb mode rp for it to work again.

If you are running version 2.1 or above it is recommended you run ip slb mode rp and use the configuration command

module ContentSwitchingModule X where X is the module number

and the slb commands under this.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

Re: CSM - IOS SLB failover ?

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I can now make an informed decision on whether to buy two or four CSM's (1 chassis on West coast one on East).

Simon

Views
Helpful
Replies