Views
Helpful
Replies

csm-s maxconns and backup serverfarm

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi all

We have a situation here at work where we are about to significantly increase the number of users going through our load balancers (csm-s version 2.1(4) ).

The application guys have asked whether there is a way to limit the number of connections allowed and if that limit is exceeded then send users to a different server with a "application busy" type error page. Not ideal but it will be a while before they can upgrade their infrastructure. i have a few quick questions.

1) If i have a maxconns limit under the vserver config and that limit is reached does it then use a defined backup serverfarm.

2) if the maxconns is reached and the CSM-S uses the backup serverfarm, are the real servers marked as out-of-service. If so presumably they are put back in service once the number of connections falls below the maxconns limit.

3)If the reals are marked out-of-service will existing user connections be serviced (they will be using sticky).

4) Is there a better way to do this with the CSM-S

Any help much appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would suggest the maxconn per server.

Each server that will reach the maxconn will be put out-of-service until the number of connections drop.

If no more servers are active, than a backup serverfarm will be used if it has been configured.

Connections active with a server are not affected when this server goes out-of-service.

This is the only way to achieve what you want.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would suggest the maxconn per server.

Each server that will reach the maxconn will be put out-of-service until the number of connections drop.

If no more servers are active, than a backup serverfarm will be used if it has been configured.

Connections active with a server are not affected when this server goes out-of-service.

This is the only way to achieve what you want.

Gilles.

Many thanks Gilles

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: